Relationship between an EM wave and its current

In summary, an antenna can be calculated at a distance by taking the drive voltage (in volts) and multiplying it by the size of the radiator elements (in meters). However, as you move away from the antenna, the calculations get more complicated.
tj50
Given the following:

A directional radio wave transmitting antenna which creates a beam (diameter in mm), a current in volts, and a frequency (Hz), is it possible to calculate the em wave voltage (v/m or w/m2) immediately next to the antenna? and then at a distance of 10meters?

What calculations/formulae will be required? If this is not feasible, is further information needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF
Well - you kicked off with a really difficult question there! Depending on the details of the type of antenna, there are a number of different methods for calculating near and far fields. There is no analytical method for anything other than a very basic antenna and every design will have a different approach. The (numerical) technique often involves approximating the problem by breaking the antenna down into a finite network of small elements and calculating how they will interact with each other and then takes the sum of the fields generated in any direction.
Google "finite element antenna analysis" and you will find a lot of hits but I couldn't find any free sources of information.

tj50 said:
A directional radio wave transmitting antenna which creates a beam (diameter in mm), a current in volts, and a frequency (Hz), is it possible to calculate the em wave voltage (v/m or w/m2) immediately next to the antenna? and then at a distance of 10meters?

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with this: "a current in volts" Do you mean an antenna terminal drive voltage in volts? That would make more sense.

Very near the antenna, the field in V/m will be close to the drive voltage divided by the size of the antenna radiating elements. But as sophiecentaur says, as you move away from the antenna, the calculations get a lot more complicated.

Can you say what types of antennas you are interested in? How directional? What frequency band(s)? Why are you wanting to find the radiated field strength?

I believe there is an antenna design software package that is pretty inexpensive for the basic version. Based on your reply, I'll try to see if I can find it... :smile:

Here is the link to EZNEC, the package I was thinking of. The basic version is $99 for the download:

https://www.eznec.com/

:smile:

To sophiecentaur, yes I'll look to Google the above to help answer this problem.

To berkeman, I'll need a little research time so apologies if there's no quick reply to your questions, & thanks for the EZNEC link, I'll also look into the antenna design program you've suggested.

Thanks both for your welcomes and your replies.

Further to the messages above:

To berkeman,
Yes, if by terminal drive voltage you mean the modulated AC current running from the transmitter to the antenna via the primary element.

To sophiecentaur & berkeman,

Its a hypothetical question at the moment concerning all frequencies.

After some research I've decided to begin with the omni-directional antenna (a simple metal conducting rod) for now because as you say its a more basic problem and I can progress to directional antennae later.

Can you provide a method, 'analytical or numerical', or a link for solving the above?

Thanks

If you're starting from the beginning, the simplest radiating antenna is the oscillating dipole. A google search for "dipole radiation" should get you started. Introductory treatments deal with the "far field", far enough from the antenna that its size is negligible. For the field close enough to the antenna that its size is significant, try something like "dipole radiation near field".

Ok, thanks jtbell

1. What is the relationship between an EM wave and its current?

The relationship between an electromagnetic (EM) wave and its current is that the changing electric and magnetic fields of the wave induce a current in a conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction, and it is the basis for how many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers, work.

2. How does an EM wave create a current?

An EM wave creates a current by inducing a flow of electrons in a conductor. The changing electric field of the wave causes the electrons to move back and forth, creating an alternating current (AC). This phenomenon is described by Faraday's law of induction.

3. What is the direction of the current induced by an EM wave?

The direction of the current induced by an EM wave depends on the direction of the wave's electric and magnetic fields. The current will flow in a direction that is perpendicular to both fields. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the wave's propagation, the fingers point in the direction of the electric field, and the palm points in the direction of the current.

4. How does the frequency of an EM wave affect the current it produces?

The frequency of an EM wave affects the current it produces by determining the rate at which the electric and magnetic fields change. A higher frequency wave will produce a higher frequency current, which can be seen in the higher pitch of sound produced by a radio tuned to a higher frequency.

5. Can an EM wave create a current in a vacuum?

No, an EM wave cannot create a current in a vacuum because there are no conductors present for the electrons to flow through. However, the wave itself can still propagate through a vacuum, as demonstrated by the transmission of radio waves through space.