Relationship between Derivatives and Integrals

In summary, the relationship between derivatives and integrals is that the area under a curve (or something equivalent to that) is related to the indefinite integral in an astonishingly simple and remarkable way.
BraneChild
Hi,
I've recently taken a Calculus 1 (Differential Calculus) course and I've been looking ahead to see what sort of material is covered in the Calculus 2 (Integral Calculus) course. I am wondering about the relationship between derivatives and integrals.

From what I understand, an integral is the area under a curve that is bounded on either side by random points and below by the x-axis. Is this right? If so, how is it geometricallyrelated to the derivative, which is the slope of the tangent at a particular point along a curve?

I had this problem a while back with limits. Although I knew how to compute limits, I didn't know until much later on exactly what a limit was. Same with integrals. I feel like if I can't paint a picture of what I'm doing I don't really understand it.

Thanks for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're learn all this in your next course. But the key here (to be brief) is the difference between definite integrals and indefinite integrals.

Indefinite integrals are obviously related to derivatives because its just the opposite of differentiation (no magic involved here, that's just how they're defined).

The magic part is the fact that the definite integral, which is defined as the area under a curve (or something equivalent to that), is related to the indefinite integral in an astonishingly simple and remarkable way. The way I like to look at it is the following:

Let's say I have a function which gives the position of an object. You know that if I take the derivative of this position function I get a function which gives me the velocity of this object.

Well if you know any physics you know that Velocity = Distance Elapsed/Time Elapsed, and the x-axis represents time. Imagine the velocity function is a constant so that the space under the curve is a rectangle (see note at bottom), multiplying the height (value) of the curve by the length of time beneath it gives you the area under the curve, but it also gives you the distance traveled because V=D/T so V*T=D.

So we know that the area under this velocity curve, whatever it is, equals the distance traveled. But there is another way of finding out that distance; the obvious way! You take the distance (value) on the right side of the position function and subtract it from the value on the left side, giving you the distance elapsed. Remember that the velocity function is the derivative of the position function, which I'm going to instead phrase as the position function is the antiderivative (indefinite integral) of the velocity function.

So what does this tell us? It tells us that the area under a curve is equal to the value of its anti-derivative at the right side of an interval minus the value on this left side! This is one part (and the more important part) of the fundamental theorem of calculus, and is the idea behind pretty much everything you'll do in that course.

NOTE: The function doesn't have to be constant for this to work, because you can approximate any function by a series of rectangles with height equal to the function at given points. As the number of rectangles increases (and the width of each rectangle decreases) the approximation approaches the actual function and so you can do this with any function.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!
It actually seems like a simple idea, I guess it just took me to see it from a different perspective before it clicked.
Integral Calculus here I come!

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

2. How are derivatives and integrals related?

Derivatives and integrals are inverse operations of each other. This means that the integral of a function is the reverse process of finding its derivative, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

The main difference between a derivative and an integral is that a derivative measures the instantaneous rate of change, while an integral measures the accumulated change over a given interval. Another difference is that derivatives are used to find the slope of a function, while integrals are used to find the area under a curve.

4. How are derivatives and integrals used in real life?

Derivatives and integrals have numerous real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, while integrals are used to determine the total distance traveled by an object.

5. Can derivatives and integrals be applied to non-mathematical contexts?

Yes, derivatives and integrals can also be applied to non-mathematical contexts, such as in everyday life. For instance, the concept of marginal cost, which is a derivative, can be used to make decisions about purchasing goods or services. Integrals can also be used to calculate the total amount of resources needed for a project or to determine the average value of a quantity over a given time period.