Relationship between paramagnetic fields and distance

In summary, the question is asking about the relationship between the paramagnetic field strength at a given distance from the source. The person is attempting to define the deterioration of a magnetic field generated by a paramagnetic substance in the presence of an auxiliary magnetic field. They have calculated the magnetisation of the substance and want to determine the theoretical strength of the paramagnetism at a specific distance from the source. They are also questioning if the formula for calculating this strength is the same for paramagnetic materials as it is for diamagnetic materials. The individual is conducting experiments on a nano-scale to determine how close the paramagnetic material needs to be to a sensor in order to detect its effects.
payarma
Summary: What is the relationship between paramagnetic field strength at a given distance from the source?

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong topic. And apologies if the question is unclear, I am a biologist by background attempting to do some physics here!

Basically I am looking to define how a magnetic field generated by a paramagnetic substance (gadolinium above curie point) in the presence of an auxiliary magnetic field would deteriorate over distance. I have calculated the magnetisation of the gadolinium, and now want to work out the theoretical strength of the paramagnetism at a given distance from the source? I think I have found formulae for calculating this with regards to diamagnetic materials, but does this hold true for paramagnetism?

Experimental Background: I have developed a magnetometer system (cannot discuss due to IP) but essentially want to see where the sensor is sensing only the auxiliary magnetic field and areas where the sensor is picking up extra magnetism of the gadolinium. What I am trying to establish is how close the gadolinium needs to be to the sensor in order for me to sense these effects? (this is all being done on the nano-scale)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I have a basic understanding of magnetic fields, but I'm no expert. I'm not sure it's correct to talk about an external "paramagnetic field". The paramagnetic field is internal to the paramagnetic matierial, I believe. The external field (that you call the auxiliary field) will be somewhat distorted due to the presence of the paramagnetic material. Is that what you are calling the "paramagnetic field"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramagnetism
1563555369216.png

1. What is a paramagnetic field?

A paramagnetic field is a type of magnetic field that is created by the alignment of individual atomic or molecular magnetic dipoles in a material. This alignment occurs in the presence of an external magnetic field, causing the material to become weakly magnetized.

2. How does distance affect a paramagnetic field?

The strength of a paramagnetic field decreases as distance from the source increases. This is because the magnetic force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, as the distance increases, the force decreases and the field becomes weaker.

3. What is the relationship between paramagnetic fields and distance?

The relationship between paramagnetic fields and distance is an inverse square relationship. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the strength of the paramagnetic field decreases by a factor of four.

4. Can paramagnetic fields be shielded by distance?

Yes, paramagnetic fields can be shielded by distance. As the distance between the source of the field and an object increases, the strength of the field decreases, making it less likely to affect the object.

5. How does the strength of a paramagnetic field change with distance?

The strength of a paramagnetic field decreases as distance increases. This decrease follows an inverse square relationship, meaning that the strength decreases by a factor of four as the distance doubles.