Relative Motion & Local Frame’s Position - when projecting components

In summary, the position of the origin for the body's rotating coordinate frame can either stay fixed to the moving body or fixed to the inertial frame, with the only restriction that it cannot translate with the body. This is a mathematical discussion rather than a physics one. In the case where the body is at rest in the inertial frame, the spherical coordinate frame's origin should be positioned at the origin for the motion to make sense. The motion has freedom of rotation in terms of theta and phi.
MD LAT 1492
Does the position of the origin for the body’s rotating coordinate frame
1) stay fixed to the moving body or
2) does it stay fixed to the inertial frame, yet still able to rotate as the body rotates with the only restriction that it cannot translate with the body i.e. only affixed at the inertial frame.

thank you and I appreciate the time you take to answer this!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
As you wish. For an example, say the body is at rest in inertial frame of reference. You can set any frame of reference where the body is rotating ( not the body but you spin. ) and the Origin moves or fixed as you wish to set. This is rather mathematics discussion than physics. The law of physics in that frame is very messy one.

I think you have more specific case in mind saying "the body is rotating". I would like to know it.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
As you wish. For an example, say the body is at rest in inertial frame of reference. You can set any frame of reference where the body is rotating ( not the body but you spin. ) and the Origin moves or fixed as you wish to set. This is rather mathematics discussion than physics. The law of physics in that frame is very messy one.

I think you have more specific case in mind saying "the body is rotating". I would like to know it.
Thank you for your answer and it has helped remind me.

In my problem, I was describing the spherical motion of a body (a) relative to an inertial frame (o), where I had placed the spherical unit vectors and also that spherical coordinate frame's origin at the body - this is the part that confused me.

Because when I described the position vector of (a) relative to inertial origin (o) in terms of the spherical basis, it showed that my position was in the negative radial direction.

I know that by just multiplying by a negative would flip the direction, but this brought up the question of where the generated spherical origin is actually positioned.

In my mind, I can only think that the generated spherical coordinate frame's origin should be positioned at the origin (o) to make sense.

From what you said I assume the case you set is :
The center of spherical motion O and OXYZ axes stay at rest in a IFR
r, the distance from the center O, remains constant. So the motion has freedom of ##\theta## and ##\phi##.
Is it all right ?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
From what you said I assume the case you set is :
The center of spherical motion O and OXYZ axes stay at rest in a IFR
r, the distance from the center O, remains constant. So the motion has freedom of ##\theta## and ##\phi##.
Is it all right ?
Yes

May I think You answer your question in OP as 2)?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
May I think You answer your question in OP as 2)?
Ok now I also think that is the answer. Thank you

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. It is the motion that is observed from a specific point of view.

2. How is relative motion calculated?

Relative motion can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the observer from the velocity of the object being observed. This gives the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is a local frame of reference?

A local frame of reference is a coordinate system that is used to describe the position and motion of objects in a specific location. It is typically chosen to simplify calculations and observations.

4. How is the position of an object projected onto a local frame?

The position of an object can be projected onto a local frame by using the coordinates of the object in relation to the local frame. This can be done by using vector projections or by using trigonometric functions.

5. What are the applications of relative motion and projecting components in science?

Relative motion and projecting components are important concepts in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to understand the motion of objects, predict the paths of celestial bodies, and design structures and machines that can move in a controlled manner.