RELATIVE Space/Time and Lightspeed question

In summary: If there were a doorway, let's say a 'wormhole', were connected between the two, what would be the difference from walking from ship A to ship B?You would be crossing a doorway!
Riptide
Hey everyone,
First off I am not a physics major or a math guru. Physics has always been some thing that I have been interested in though. Physical science and the way things work has always interested me. I mention this, because I do not want to come off sounding like an idiot. I know most people that probably come to these forums probably have a better education and a far greater understanding of these concepts than I do.
The concept of light speed, space time, and relativity has made sense, but something has always alluded me. From what I understand the speed limit of light can not be changed (in a pure vacuum state that is), and it is space and time that change, not the speed of light itself. That brings me to my question:
Say we have two space ships (that is the easiest way I can describe this so just go with me on this one) and both head in opposite directions from one another slowly accelerating. At some point, Ship A is heading one way and reaches over 1/2 the speed of light from it's starting point. Likewise, Ship B hits over 1/2 the speed of light from it's starting point heading in the complete opposite direction. At that point, the differential between the two would exceed light speed. I'm pretty sure that there are objects in our own universe that currently are doing this. What happens in relation to each other?
To ask more specific questions, would Ship A and Ship B still see each other? What would time be like in relationship to each other, would one ship appear to be going backwards in time in relation to the other? If there were a doorway, let's say a 'wormhole', were connected between the two, what would be the difference from walking from ship A to ship B? Would that constitue time travel (even though I would guess that would be a yes, I am just not sure in what direction)?
In case I am missing some law or theory, would it be any different when the ships reached 99.9% the speed of light in opposite directions, in theory meaning they are nearly doubling the speed of light in velocity from one another?
This has been something that has boggled me since I started becoming interested in physics. If someone could answer it, it would be very much appreciated! If possible, please explain in the most basic of terms (equations and "so-and-so's theory of what-not says," will probably be more than I am aquainted with, but you don't have to describe it like you are talking to a kindergartener either). Thank you so much for your time and input. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Riptide! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Riptide said:
… we have two space ships (that is the easiest way I can describe this so just go with me on this one) and both head in opposite directions from one another slowly accelerating. At some point, Ship A is heading one way and reaches over 1/2 the speed of light from it's starting point. Likewise, Ship B hits over 1/2 the speed of light from it's starting point heading in the complete opposite direction. At that point, the differential between the two would exceed light speed. I'm pretty sure that there are objects in our own universe that currently are doing this. What happens in relation to each other?

Each regards the other as moving at 4c/5, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula#Special_theory_of_relativity :wink:

1. What is relative space/time?

Relative space/time refers to the concept that space and time are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that how an event is perceived can vary depending on the observer's position and motion.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to relative space/time?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains how space and time are interconnected and can be distorted by gravity. It also states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their frame of reference.

3. How does relative space/time affect the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in relative space/time?

The speed of light is significant because it is the maximum speed at which energy, matter, or information can travel. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and our understanding of space and time.

5. Is it possible to exceed the speed of light in relative space/time?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible to exceed the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate further. This is known as the cosmic speed limit.