Relative Velocity of running towards a mirror

In summary, your reflection in the mirror appears to move at twice your actual speed when you are running towards it. However, in reality, your reflection does not move at all as it is simply an illusion created by the fixed mirror. Changing your position also changes the position of your reflection, but this is not considered actual movement. The distance between you and your reflection can also be measured using the law of reflection and ray tracing.
Mech-Master
If you are running towards a mirror at 5m/sec, at what speed is your reflection moving towards you?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mech-Master.
Your reflection doesn't move at all. It's an artifact of the mirror, and hence is stationary.

Mech-Master said:
If you are running towards a mirror at 5m/sec, at what speed is your reflection moving towards you?

At what speed is the reflection moving towards the mirror, and in which direction? (To be specific, suppose you are running towards the left.)

my reflection in the mirror will move towards me wouldn't it?(will move towards the mirror from the other side if you know what I mean haha)

i am not sure if it will move at the same speed (5m/sec)

or

if you run towards the mirror with the speed 5m/sec, your reflection runs towards the mirror at the same speed. However, Relative to you, you are stationary and the mirror is moving towards you at 5m/sec - so your reflection is moving towards you at 10 m/sec?I am not sure it's confusing

Okay, I got the meaning. Actually, I sort of assumed your meaning the first time, but went with the practical approach.
Your image will appear to approach at twice your speed—in this case, 10 m/s. In physical reality, it doesn't move at all. The easiest way to think of it is that as you take one step (let's say 1/2 metre) toward the mirror, your image seems to take one toward you at the same time. That gives an apparent distance closure of 1 metre.
Again, though, the image itself does not actually move forward or backward. The mirror is a fixed object, and the image is produced by it.

Danger said:
the image itself does not actually move forward or backward.

If you are 2 m in front of the mirror, your image is 2 m behind the mirror. If you are 1 m in front of the mirror, your image is 1 m behind the mirror. In either case you can locate it geometrically using the law of reflection of light rays and some ray tracing and simple geometry. These distances have real physical implications. If you use a camera with manual focusing to take a picture of your own image in the mirror, you need to set the focusing control for a distance of 4 m or 2 m respectively.

When you change position, your image changes position, which I would consider to be "moving."

jtbell said:
When you change position, your image changes position, which I would consider to be "moving."

You are far and away more educated than I, but I just can't agree with that. The image is merely a manipulation of light by a fixed object. Any 'movement' is essentially an illusion. Assuming that the mirror is incapable of motion, the image 'trapped within it' is equally motionless.
I'm not declaring that I'm correct, but that's the way that I see it. If you can clarify the situation, I'm always glad to be educated. (That might sound sarcastic, but that's not how it's intended.)

It's slightly abstract but I don't have a problem with the image being seen as a moving object, defined by the distance traveled by the individual photons on their journey from the object to your eye (with a bounce off the mirror somewhere along the journey… this would be at half distance for the case of your eyeball, and approx half distance for other parts of your body)

That's my point, Molydood. Thanks for clarifying what I was thinking. The incoming photons stop at the mirror, not behind it. The emitted photons that compose the reflection originate at the mirror, not behind it. Any forward or backward movement is on an atomic scale.

Related to Relative Velocity of running towards a mirror

1. How does running towards a mirror affect the relative velocity of the image?

Running towards a mirror does not affect the relative velocity of the image. The relative velocity of the image is solely dependent on the speed of light and the distance between the object and the mirror.

2. Does the speed of the person running towards the mirror affect the relative velocity of the image?

No, the speed of the person running towards the mirror does not affect the relative velocity of the image. The relative velocity of the image is determined by the speed of light, which is constant in all frames of reference.

3. Is the relative velocity of the image different if the person is running away from the mirror?

No, the relative velocity of the image is the same whether the person is running towards or away from the mirror. This is because the speed of light is constant and the distance between the person and the mirror remains the same.

4. How does the angle of the mirror affect the relative velocity of the image?

The angle of the mirror does not affect the relative velocity of the image. As long as the distance between the object and the mirror remains the same, the relative velocity of the image will not change.

5. Can the relative velocity of the image be greater than the speed of light?

No, the relative velocity of the image cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel.