Removing air from water using vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with air bubbles getting trapped in a snowglobe-like product and the difficulties in removing them. The customer has suggested using a vacuum system, but this has not been successful. Suggestions such as using a surfactant or making the surfaces more hydrophilic have been made, but may not be practical for production. The conversation also mentions using a degassing solution and exploring other methods to remove air from the jar after the tree has been inserted. The goal is to find a solution that meets the customer's specifications and competes with Chinese manufacturers.
The plastic flakes are stored in a sealed barrel? If you were able to replace the air in the barrel with CO2, then when you transfer a spoonful of flakes to the globe any adhering gas carried in by the feathers on the flakes would be CO2 and it would dissolve in the water. A trace of NaOH in the water might absorb the dissolved CO2. (I doubt that a tiny amount of NaOH would affect the green plastic paint on the tree.) The difficulty would be replacing the air among the flakes of plastic with CO2. Perhaps just a squirt into the bottom of the barrel from a CO2 source every day might see diffusion gradually replace the trapped air by CO2 over a period of weeks. Shake the barrel a few times to try to speed up the mixing.

With Christmas approaching, I imagine you are keen to get your snowdomes into the stores?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the tree is the problem.
I would use a humidity Thermal Chamber (See ESPEC)
and put the tree inside the chamber for some time with high humidity to allow the tree to absorb moisture(something like 8hrs or so, depending on the material.)
or boil the tree for some time at arround 50~60 degrees.
moisturize tree to remove air bubbles inside the tree.

Put Tree inside the jar.
Seal.
add vaccum
Fill jar while still
apply permanent seal.
and should be bubble free.

Dunk it in Gin and wash it with de-gassed (long boiled) water.