Removing Water from Fixed Volume

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with efficiently removing residual water from a tank by using a dehumidifier. They plan to seal the dehumidifier to the tank and pipe the water outside. They also mention wanting to find the best combination of pressure and temperature for effective dehumidification. They ask for help understanding the relationship between pressure, temperature, and humidity.
JTMechEng
Hi All,

I have a fixed volume inside a tank that when it warms up from freezing, residual water collects inside. I'm trying to remove this water by using a store bought dehumidifier. My plan is to put the dehumidifier inside a box, and seal it to the opening of the tank. Piping the removed water outside of the box.

I know from measuring the relative humidity inside I can estimate the amount of water that has collected inside my known fixed volume.

What I'd like to do is find the optimum pressure and temperature so that the water content is removed in the most efficient manner, ie quickest!

My gut is telling me I need to slightly reduce the pressure inside and raise the temperature to have the most effective dehumidifying effect.

Can anyone help on the relationship between pressure, temperature and humidity?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How can water be removed from a fixed volume?

Water can be removed from a fixed volume through various methods such as evaporation, filtration, distillation, and centrifugation.

2. What is the most efficient method for removing water from a fixed volume?

The most efficient method for removing water from a fixed volume depends on the type and quantity of the substance present. For example, evaporation is a quick and simple method for removing water from a solution, while filtration is more effective for removing larger particles from a mixture.

3. Can the process of removing water from a fixed volume be reversed?

Yes, the process of removing water from a fixed volume can be reversed through various methods such as condensation, precipitation, or simply adding water back into the volume.

4. Are there any potential risks or hazards associated with removing water from a fixed volume?

Some methods of removing water from a fixed volume, such as distillation, may involve the use of heat or chemicals which can pose potential risks or hazards. It is important to follow safety protocols and use proper equipment when performing these processes.

5. How does removing water from a fixed volume affect the concentration of substances in the remaining volume?

Removing water from a fixed volume can affect the concentration of substances in the remaining volume. For instance, if a solution is left to evaporate, the concentration of solutes will increase as the water content decreases. On the other hand, if water is removed through filtration, the concentration of solutes may not be affected as only water is being removed.