Replacing introductory physics book with a set of more advanced books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of replacing introductory physics books with more advanced textbooks for self-study and seeking recommendations for books that cover the same topics as introductory books. It also raises questions about the potential gaps in knowledge if skipping introductory books and using more advanced textbooks. Some recommended books include Symon/Taylor Classical Mechanics book, Purcell/Griffiths E&M book, Born+Wolf/Hetch Optics book, Reif Thermal physics book, Krane Modern Physics book, and Shankar QM book. Additional suggestions include replacing Taylor with Kleppner, Reif with Schroeder, and Born & Wolf with Kenyon. The conversation also mentions the need for three different books (E&M, Optics, and Classical
hojoplo
Greetings.

I have been reading the textbook recommendations and they help me greatly already, but I need to ask for little guidance. My question is this: If you were to replace the introductory physics book ("Fundamentals of Physics", "University Physics", "Physics for Scientists and Engineers", or any such book) with a set of books covering the same topics, what books would you recommend - or would you?

Why would I like to do this? I have studied some of the freshman physics courses some years ago (courses on Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism). I am not studying physics as major subject, I am planning to have it as minor and also study it for my own enjoyment. I am currently learning more mathematics (from "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by Riley, Hobson & Bence). I would like to freshen up my memory on the subjects I have studied, and go deeper into them (especially into mechanics, and I might find thermodynamics useful), and learn the subjects I have not yet studied, and also get more practice for my mathematics studies. In those freshman introductory physics books, most of the space is taken up by mechanics and e&m which I have already studied on that level, and the sections on for example thermodynamics seem very short. So they do not seem worthwhile. I do not currently have introductory physics book.

Some titles I have seen recommended which would probably suit the purpose are: Symon/Taylor Classical Mechanics book, Purcell/Griffiths E&M book (also relativity?), Born+Wolf/Hetch Optics book, Reif Thermal physics book, Krane Modern Physics book, and Shankar QM book. Do you think these books would cover everything that introductory books have?

In addition to my request for help in picking the books that cover everything that introductory physics books do, I have another question. If I replace the introductory physics textbook with more advanced (but still undergraduate, I would think) textbooks, will I miss something on the subjects that I am studying for the first time? Do the more advanced textbooks (for example, books on optics/waves, thermodynamics, modern physics, qm in my case) generally expect that the reader has gone through the introductory book first? Or is my idea for skipping the introductory book silly for some other reason?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hojoplo said:
Some titles I have seen recommended which would probably suit the purpose are: Symon/Taylor Classical Mechanics book, Purcell/Griffiths E&M book (also relativity?), Born+Wolf/Hetch Optics book, Reif Thermal physics book, Krane Modern Physics book, and Shankar QM book. Do you think these books would cover everything that introductory books have?
I'd replace Taylor with Kleppner, and Reif with Schroeder if your goal is to learn introductory material at a more advanced level, as opposed to just learning more advanced topics.

Thank you for your suggestions, Jorriss and alissca123.

The next physics course I will attend is called "Radiation fields and photons". The subjects of the course are: "Changing magnetic fields and induction. Electromagnetic radiation and it's attributes. Maxwell's laws and the wave equation. Superposition and diffraction of waves. Refraction and scattering. Sound, vibrating string and standing waves. Basics of Fourier analysis."

I believe that I need three different books to cover that course if I use this approach I have planned. E&M book, Optics book, and Classical mechanics book (I think they cover mechanical waves).

hojoplo said:
Thank you for your suggestions, Jorriss and alissca123.

The next physics course I will attend is called "Radiation fields and photons". The subjects of the course are: "Changing magnetic fields and induction. Electromagnetic radiation and it's attributes. Maxwell's laws and the wave equation. Superposition and diffraction of waves. Refraction and scattering. Sound, vibrating string and standing waves. Basics of Fourier analysis."

I believe that I need three different books to cover that course if I use this approach I have planned. E&M book, Optics book, and Classical mechanics book (I think they cover mechanical waves).
I would recommend looking into Griffiths for E&M, Taylor for Classical Mechanics and Hecht (I believe) for optics. For more comments go to the physics textbook subsection. I believe they are all in there.

Related to Replacing introductory physics book with a set of more advanced books?

1. What is the benefit of replacing an introductory physics book with a set of more advanced books?

The main benefit of using more advanced books is that it allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. They will be exposed to more complex concepts and theories, which can help them develop critical thinking skills and prepare them for higher level courses.

2. Will using more advanced books be too challenging for students?

This may vary depending on the students' abilities and prior knowledge. However, with proper guidance and support from the teacher, students can successfully navigate through more advanced material and improve their problem-solving skills.

3. How will this change affect the curriculum and lesson plans?

Replacing an introductory physics book with more advanced books may require some adjustments to the curriculum and lesson plans. Teachers may need to cover topics in a different order or spend more time on certain concepts. However, this change can also provide opportunities for more engaging and challenging lessons.

4. What resources are available to support the use of more advanced books?

There are many resources available to support the use of more advanced books, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Teachers can also collaborate with colleagues or attend professional development workshops to learn new teaching strategies and techniques.

5. How can we ensure that all students are successful with this change?

In order to ensure the success of all students, it is important for teachers to provide a supportive and inclusive learning environment. This can include offering extra help sessions, providing differentiated instruction, and regularly assessing student understanding to identify areas that need more attention.