Reporting posts, taking umbrage, and the like....

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of enabling compositioning/editing in the reporting function. It is noted that editing a report may have the same disadvantages as editing a post in a thread, and it's better to re-report to ensure all versions are seen. The conversation also offers tips on how to go back and review a post before submitting a report, such as using tabs or copying and pasting into a word processor. It is mentioned that most reports are short and to the point, and if there are any confusion, a mentor may reach out for clarification.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is there any way to enable some sort of compositioning/editing of the reporting function? It is somewhat annoying to have to back up to see what "one" was first annoyed with/by. Not all that often that it has occurred, but there have been occasions when I've cursed the fact that it is necessary to "re-" report.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are asking for. But editing a report has the same disadvantage as editing a post in a thread. Some people (Mentors in the case of a report) may have read your original version, and may not notice if you change it by edit.

Better to re-report so that they see both versions of what you're trying to say. You can always say, "Disregard my previous report." in the re-report.

Likes Bystander
Bystander said:
Is there any way to enable some sort of compositioning/editing of the reporting function?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but as for editing the things you send to the Report forum, the answer is no. Even our Mentor comments in the Reports forum cannot be edited by us, which is a bit annoying when we notice a typo or something in one of our comments. In the regular forums we can easily edit our posts, but (I think by design) reports and comments in the report threads are non-editable.

As @anorlunda says, just re-click the same Report link in the post, and add extra comments, etc.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Bystander
Bystander said:
Is there any way to enable some sort of compositioning/editing of the reporting function?
BTW, does this mean you'd like to modify your recent post report that is currently pending and under Mentor discussion? :wink:

No. Just wanted to acknowledge Borek.

Likes berkeman
Ah, got it. No worries, it's already been assigned to him. :smile:

You could start a report and then, if you want to go back to another at the offending thread, you can open another tab on the same thread and look at it that way.

BillTre said:
You could start a report and then, if you want to go back to another at the offending thread, you can open another tab on the same thread and look at it that way.
Did you get stung by one of those funny-looking fish tonight Bill? :wink:

Maybe left out some words?:

You could start a report and then, if you want to go back to get another look at the offending thread, you can open another tab on the same thread and look at it that way.

My understanding of his complaint was that he could not start a report and then go back and look at the problem again, to put something else into his report. This allows him to do that without leaving his reprot.

Likes berkeman and phinds
Oh, I get it now. Use 2 tabs so that you can keep the report tab open while you go back and review the post to see if you want to tune up your report before submitting it.

What you can also do is cut/paste your draft report into a WP, kill your report, tune your report in the WP, cut/paste the finished version into a report. Other than the tuning itself, which of course could take a lot of time, it takes less time to do this than it just did for me to explain it.

Most of the time, post reports are short and to the point. In the few cases where a report is confusing to the Mentors, usually one of us will volunteer to send the reporting user a PM to ask for clarification. No big deal.

Likes phinds

1. What is the purpose of reporting a post?

Reporting a post serves as a way to flag inappropriate or offensive content to the platform administrators. It helps to maintain a safe and respectful online community for all users.

2. How do I report a post?

This process may vary depending on the platform, but generally you can click on the "Report" or "Flag" button on the post, and follow the prompts to provide a reason for the report. Some platforms also allow you to report a post by sending a direct message to the administrators.

3. What happens after I report a post?

After a post is reported, the platform administrators will review the content and determine if it violates their community guidelines. If it is found to be in violation, the post may be removed and the user who posted it may face consequences such as a warning or suspension.

4. Can I report a post for any reason?

It is important to only report a post if it truly violates the platform's guidelines. Reporting a post for petty reasons or as a form of retaliation can result in consequences for yourself.

5. What should I do if I take umbrage to a post?

If you take umbrage to a post, it is best to first try to address the issue directly with the person who posted it. If that does not resolve the issue, you can report the post to the platform administrators or simply choose to ignore it and move on. It is important to remember that not everyone will agree with your opinions and it is best to handle conflicts in a respectful manner.