Representation Theory clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses representation theory for SU(n) and an example for SU(2) where 2 objects of a 2D object transforming under an irreducible representation of SU(2) are combined to form a matrix with 4 components. The resulting matrix can be reduced into a symmetric and antisymmetric part, with different transformations for each component.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading some things about representation theory for SU(n) and I want to make sure I understand it properly. I will put an example here and explain what I understand out of it and I would really appreciate if someone can tell me if it is right or not. So for SU(2) we have ##2 \otimes 2 = 1 \oplus 3##. Assume that we have a 2D object transforming under an irreducible representation (irrep) of SU(2) (I think this would be a spinor?) ##v= \begin{pmatrix}
a \\
b
\end{pmatrix}## and ##M \in SU(2)## such that ##v'=Mv##. Now ##2 \otimes 2## means we have 2 objects of this kind, so an element u here would be written as ##u = v \otimes v =
\begin{pmatrix}
a^2 \\
ab \\
ba \\
b^2
\end{pmatrix}##. The matrix N acting on this would be ##4 \times 4## and it can be reduced into something like this ## N =
= \begin{pmatrix}
x & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & x_1 & x_2 & x_3 \\
0 & x_4 & x_5 & x_6 \\
0 & x_7 & x_8 & x_9
\end{pmatrix}##. Is this correct? So this means that ##a^2## transforms differently than the other 3 components of u? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way it splits is into (symmetric part) and (antisymmetric part). For SU(n), their sizes are, in general, n(n+1)/2 and n(n-1)/2, and for SU(2), 3 and 1.

The splitting is done on their matrices.
  • The product: D(prod,i1i2,j1j2) = D(i1,j1)*D(i2,j2)
  • The symmetric part: D(sym,i1i2,j1j2) = (1/2) * (D(i1,j1)*D(i2,j2) + D(i1,j2)*D(j2,j1))
  • The antisymmetric part: D(asym,i1i2,j1j2) = (1/2) * (D(i1,j1)*D(i2,j2) - D(i1,j2)*D(j2,j1))
Thus, the symmetric part of SU(2) 2*2 has indices (11), (1/2)*((12) + (21)), (22), while the antisymmetric part only has index (1/2)*((12) - (21)).

1. What is representation theory?

Representation theory is a branch of mathematics that studies how abstract algebraic objects, such as groups, rings, and algebras, can be represented by linear transformations of vector spaces. It helps us understand the structure and properties of these objects by studying their actions on vector spaces.

2. What are the applications of representation theory?

Representation theory has various applications in mathematics, physics, and other fields. In mathematics, it has been used to study group theory, number theory, and algebraic geometry. In physics, it has been used to study quantum mechanics and particle physics. It also has applications in coding theory, cryptography, and signal processing.

3. How does representation theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Representation theory has connections to numerous areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, geometry, and number theory. It is also closely related to other branches of algebra, such as group theory, ring theory, and module theory. In fact, many concepts and techniques in representation theory have been generalized and applied in other areas of mathematics.

4. What are the key concepts in representation theory?

Some key concepts in representation theory include group representations, irreducible representations, character theory, and tensor products. Group representations are the basis for representation theory and involve studying how a group acts on a vector space. Irreducible representations are the simplest building blocks of group representations. Character theory is a tool used to study the properties of group representations. Tensor products allow us to combine representations to form new representations.

5. What are the challenges in studying representation theory?

Representation theory can be a challenging subject due to its abstract nature and the complexity of the algebraic objects involved. It requires a strong foundation in abstract algebra and linear algebra. Additionally, understanding the connections between representation theory and other branches of mathematics can also be challenging. However, with patience and practice, representation theory can be a rewarding and useful tool in understanding mathematical structures.