Representations of a delta function

In summary, a representation of the delta function is a mathematical description of a function that has certain properties. It is possible to show that the representation has the correct properties by first pairing the delta function with an arbitrary test function and doing the manipulations and limits.
Frabjous
Gold Member
There are many representations of the delta function. Is there a place/reference that lists AND proves them? I am interested in proofs that would satisfy a physicist not a mathematician.

Physics news on Phys.org
By representations, do you mean the generating functions that produce the delta in the limit? Physics references do not generally provide proofs so much as demonstrations or explanations, so if you want a proof you should stick to math texts. The list of texts containing demonstrations/discussions, on the other hand, is nearly limitless. Open up your favorite one. Here are a few examples
  • Arfken, Mathematical Methods for Physicists
  • Bracewell, The Fourier Transform and Its Applications
  • Dirac, The Principles of Quantum Mechanics (of course!)

Likes S.G. Janssens
caz said:
representations of the delta function. Is there a place/reference that lists AND proves them
I wonder what you would consider a proof of a representation . A delta function is a something with certain well described properties. The word distributions comes to mind (out of the dust of ages). Showing that the representation exhibits such properties is just that: a showing.

[Links added after commenting; plenty references for further study. As a physicist I'm comfortable with 'infinitely narrow and high needle with area 1' :cool: but I would never claim that would prove anything]

I am actually comfortable with the delta function. It’s just that I am many years past grad school and was reading something (Intermediate Quantum Mechanics by Bethe) that piqued my interest in how to to show that these representations have the correct properties.

caz said:
I am actually comfortable with the delta function. It’s just that I am many years past grad school and was reading something (Intermediate Quantum Mechanics by Bethe) that piqued my interest in how to to show that these representations have the correct properties.
What are the properties you refer to?

That the integral over all space of the representations equals one. I am interested in how to do the integrals. Some of them I can solve, some of them I cannot. I do not want to look them up in an integral table.

The best way (avoiding magic) to manipulate ##\delta##-functions or, generally, distributions, is by first pairing with an arbitrary (i.e. smooth, compactly supported) test function, doing the manipulations (usually involving partial integration) and limits in ##\mathbb{R}## and then, at the end, concluding that a certain identity, or limit representation holds true for the distributions in question, because the test function was chosen arbitrarily.

Any introduction to (or: containing material about) distribution theory will show you this in detail, while keeping the underlying functional analysis out, or to a minimum, so it is accessible to physicists with a good background in multivariable calculus. There is the book by Strichartz and the book by Duistermaat and Kolk, for example.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
I’ll give Strichartz a try. Thanks.

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. It is often used as a tool in mathematics and physics to model point-like objects or phenomena.

2. How is a delta function represented?

A delta function is typically represented as δ(x) or δ(x-a), where 'a' is the point at which the function is non-zero. It can also be represented graphically as a spike at the point where it is non-zero.

3. What is the integral of a delta function?

The integral of a delta function is equal to 1. This is because the delta function is defined as zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. When integrated over its entire domain, the function "picks out" the value at that point, which is equal to 1.

4. What is the physical significance of a delta function?

The delta function has various physical interpretations, depending on the context in which it is used. In physics, it is often used to model point particles or point charges. In signal processing, it represents an instantaneous impulse. In probability theory, it represents a point probability distribution.

5. How is a delta function used in mathematics and science?

The delta function is a useful tool in mathematics and science because it allows us to simplify calculations and model real-world phenomena. It is commonly used in Fourier analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics, among other fields. It also has applications in engineering, economics, and other areas of study.