Request for historical background on the concept of voltage

In summary, the speaker expresses their interest in electricity, specifically voltage, and credits forum members and books for helping them understand the concept better. They also express a desire to learn more about the historical background of voltage and mention notable figures such as Volta and Galvani.
Guidestone
Hi all. I'll get to the point. I've been interested in electricity since I was in college. Concepts such as current and resistance seemed easy to grasp for me but voltage remains a little bit obscure. It's thanks to this forum (specially forum members Jim Hardy r.i.p and SophieCentaur, sorry if I'm missing anyone) and some books that I came across with that I got a much better idea of what voltage is. Nevertheless, I would like to read the historical background of this concept (i.e how the mathematical theory was developed, by whom, what experiments were done to develop this concept etc.) I know the concept of voltage has changed over the history and its particular background may be unclear, still, if there's info that you could provide I would appreciate that.
Have an awesome day.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Look for Volta and Galvani

Likes vanhees71, berkeman, davenn and 1 other person

1. What is the history behind the concept of voltage?

The concept of voltage can be traced back to the 18th century when Italian scientist Alessandro Volta discovered the voltaic pile, which was the first electrical battery. This led to the understanding that electricity could be produced by chemical reactions.

2. Who first coined the term "voltage"?

The term "voltage" was first used by German scientist Georg Ohm in the 1820s. He defined voltage as the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

3. How did the understanding of voltage evolve over time?

After Ohm's definition, scientists such as Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell further developed the concept of voltage and its relationship to electric current and resistance. This eventually led to the development of the laws of electromagnetism.

4. What are some key discoveries that contributed to the understanding of voltage?

In addition to Volta's voltaic pile and Ohm's definition of voltage, other key discoveries include Hans Christian Ørsted's discovery of electromagnetism and André-Marie Ampère's work on the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

5. How is the concept of voltage used in modern technology?

Voltage is a fundamental concept in modern technology, as it is used to power various devices and systems. It is also an important factor in electrical safety and is closely related to other concepts such as current and power.