Residual tensile stresses due to high compressive loading

• Thread starter kajalschopra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensile
In summary, the author explains how shelling can occur in rails due to the stresses caused by compressive loading.
kajalschopra
I have been trying to understand the physical reason for this

I had been reading about shelling in rails: https://patents.google.com/patent/US2853775

Here you can see (as stated):
Shelling occurs near the upper gage corner of the rail and is the result of cold working of the rail steel by heavy Wheel loads, of the cars operating over the rails in track. At this corner the cold working results in surface compression stresses as high as 20,000

This surface compression stress result in a tension stress of 20,000 p. s. i. at a depth of approximately /8" below the surface, and it is this tensile stress which eventually causes shelling cracks in rails in track.

I'm not able to physically sense this. How do we get residual tensile stresses even if the structural component is in compression.

Kajal

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to start with Hertz contact stress theory, a fairly complicated subject. The stresses resulting from localized contact are not what your intuition might lead you to expect.

Can you please elaborate this a bit. I shall be extremely grateful. See attached apper. I'm looking for a physical interpretation for this (as I pointed above). You may just read the abstract and not go into the whole paper.

May be I should not have said about "shelling", in the attached paper there is no contact actually

Attachments

• Fatigue_Crack_Growth_Compressive_Loading.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 369
I'm not interested in the paper at all, so will not get into it. I told you were to start. Do you know about Google?

kajalschopra said:
I'm looking for a physical interpretation

Sorry but that's an unreasonable request on a forum like this. It would require an encyclopedia length reply and we don't know your background to be sure you would understand.

It would require an encyclopedia length reply and we don't know your background to be sure you would understand.
I'm specializing in Applied Mechanics and a dedicated member of this forum. Some insight (without math) in order to have a physical intuition on why we get tensile stresses when the loading is compressive is what I was looking for.

I told you were to start
You did. But I also said that there is no contact in the problem. I therefore referred you to that paper in order to justify the problem has no contacts and hence the Hertz contact might not be to research my answer

Do you know about Google

I do. But did not get an answer to this. I got the answer while goggling

1. What are residual tensile stresses?

Residual tensile stresses are internal stresses that remain in a material after external loads are removed. These stresses are caused by a mismatch in the material's elastic properties, such as thermal expansion or plastic deformation.

2. How are residual tensile stresses formed due to high compressive loading?

When a material is subjected to high compressive loading, it experiences a decrease in volume. This leads to a mismatch in the elastic properties of the material and results in the formation of residual tensile stresses.

3. What are the potential consequences of residual tensile stresses due to high compressive loading?

Residual tensile stresses can lead to cracking, distortion, and failure of the material. These stresses can also reduce the material's fatigue life and cause premature failure.

4. How can residual tensile stresses due to high compressive loading be reduced?

One way to reduce residual tensile stresses is by heat treatment, which can change the microstructure of the material and relieve the stresses. Another method is by using shot peening, which introduces compressive stresses on the surface of the material to counteract the tensile stresses.

5. Are residual tensile stresses always harmful?

No, residual tensile stresses can also be beneficial in some cases. They can improve the material's strength and resistance to cracking. However, if these stresses exceed the material's strength, they can lead to failure.