Resistance of Platinum decreases with an increase in temperature ?

In summary, the experiment involves finding the null point on the Carey Foster's bridge with the PRT as the unknown resistance and using a Resistance box as the variable resistance. For each procedure, the researcher measured the resistance of the steam point and room temperature. The results indicated that the steam point resistance was more than the room temperature.
TachyonLord
Basic Procedure
The experiment basically involves finding the null point on the Carey Foster's bridge with the PRT as the unknown resistance and using a Resistance box as the variable resistance.
Carey_Foster_bridge.svg

In the above diagram, P and Q are 2 fixed resistors of equal resistances.
For obtaining the first balance length l1,
We take X as the PRT and Y as the variable resistance.
Similary, for obtaining the second balance length l2,
We take X as the variable resistance and Y as the PRT, i.e. we interchange their positions.

The experiment demands us to plot a graph of (l2 - l1) vs R(Variable Resistance), which is a straight line, whose slope is the inverse of the Resistance per length of the wire used in the bridge and the x intercept indicates the Resistance of the PRT.

We repeat the entire procedure th6rice for all three temperatures. For Steam point, we immerse the PRT in boiling water(kept on heating plate) and repeat the same procedure.

Ideal Graph
Capture22.PNG
Orange : Steam Point
Blue : Room Temperature

Problem
The discrepancy is arising in my result as once the data for both Room Temperature and steam point are plotted, the Staeam point curve seems to have a lower resistance than the room temperature. I've repeated the experiment 3 times and the result still remains the same.
1d.PNG

It would be really nice if anyone could help me figure out why this is happening.

Edit1 : I did end up getting the steam point resistance being more than the Room Temp when I did each of the procedures on 2 separate days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Things like this always look like a sign error, and I don't understand your description well enough to rule out a sign error (among other things: no axis labels, you introduce R without having it in the sketch, and I'm unsure what exactly you measure when). Do you have the freezing point measurement as well?

1. What is the relationship between temperature and resistance of platinum?

The resistance of platinum decreases as the temperature increases.

2. Why does the resistance of platinum decrease with an increase in temperature?

This is due to the fact that as the temperature increases, the atoms in the platinum lattice vibrate more vigorously, causing more collisions with the electrons and thus decreasing the flow of current.

3. Does this relationship hold true for all materials?

No, this relationship is specific to platinum. Different materials may have different responses to changes in temperature.

4. How is the resistance of platinum affected by temperature changes?

The resistance of platinum is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that as the temperature increases, the resistance decreases in a linear fashion.

5. Can the resistance of platinum be completely eliminated by increasing the temperature?

No, the resistance of platinum will never reach zero even at extremely high temperatures. This is because there will always be some amount of resistance due to the nature of the material and the flow of electrons.