Resistor Heat Dissipation (with imaginary numbers)

In summary, resistors generate heat due to the Joule effect and the rate of heat dissipation can affect their performance. Imaginary numbers cannot be used to calculate heat dissipation and the maximum temperature a resistor can withstand is determined by its power rating and ambient temperature. Other factors such as material, size, shape, and cooling mechanisms can also impact heat dissipation in a resistor.
derek88
Friends:

I am wondering about heat dissipation when you have imaginary numbers.

Lets say a current I = (3 + 4j) Amps is going through an impedance Z = (2 + 3j) Ohms. What is the amount of heat dissipated by the impedance?

I think that you take the magnitude of the current, |I| = 5 Amps, and then find the heat dissipated by only the real part of the impedance, Re(Z) = 2. The heat dissipated would be P = (5^2)*2 = 50 W.

Is this correct?

Note: This is not a homework question. This is something I just wanted to verify.

Science news on Phys.org
The RMS power is:
[tex]P_{RMS}={|I|^2 \over 2} |Z|[/tex]

Last edited:

1. Why do resistors generate heat?

Resistors generate heat because they impede the flow of electric current, causing some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat energy. This is known as the Joule effect.

2. How does heat dissipation affect the performance of a resistor?

The rate of heat dissipation is directly related to the power rating of a resistor. If a resistor is unable to dissipate heat quickly enough, it can overheat and potentially fail.

3. Can imaginary numbers be used to calculate heat dissipation in resistors?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be used to calculate heat dissipation in resistors. They are used in circuit analysis for mathematical convenience, but do not represent physical quantities.

4. How can I determine the maximum temperature a resistor can withstand?

The maximum temperature a resistor can withstand is determined by its power rating and the ambient temperature. The datasheet for the resistor should provide this information.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect heat dissipation in a resistor?

Yes, some other factors that can affect heat dissipation in a resistor include the material it is made of, the size and shape of the resistor, and the presence of any cooling mechanisms.