Resonance structures for nitric oxide

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of a Lewis structure for the nitric oxide molecule with a triple bond between nitrogen and oxygen, a radical on oxygen, and a lone pair. The conversation also addresses the concept of hypervalency and the use of molecular orbital diagrams to better understand the electronic structure of NO. It is concluded that the Lewis structure in question is a resonance form and does not accurately represent the actual bond order of 2.5 in NO.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Is N triple bond O with a radical on oxygen a valid LS for the nitric oxide molecule?

Homework Equations

Max number of valence electrons in a shell - 2n2.

Oxygen is in second row of periodic table. Max valence electrons: 2(2)2 = 8.

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember once I got reprimanded by my teacher for drawing some nitrogen-based molecule with five bonds afforded to nitrogen in a vain attempt to make nitrogen's formal charge 0. Unfortunately, nitrogen doesn't form five bonds regularly. Nitrogen isn't a hypervalent molecule. Nitrogen is in the second row of the periodic table and accessing the extra orbitals needed to form more than 4 bonds doesn't happen on a regular basis.

However, my teacher recently drew this depiction of the nitric oxide molecule and says it's a valid LS.

Uh, what?

Your thoughts, please. I understand that oxygen does have empty d-orbitals, and for that matter, empty f-orbitals, but really? Oxygen forming a triple bond on top of having a radical and a lone pair? How legit is the latter LS below?

http://i.minus.com/jHCK0jK0k7uVu.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First things first, Oxygen doesn't have d-orbitals, or f-orbitals for that matters.

Secondly, the second LS is perfectly fine, it is just difficult to explain and imagine. You may say that it is quite contradictory to the Lewis Dot Structure conventions. Just talk about Oxygen molecule. You may show it as having a sigma and a pi bond, but the fact is that it isn't present that way. Each Oxygen molecule shares one sigma electron and one whole pi electron pair, such that each oxygen have one lone electron on them, enabling them to exhibit paramagnetic behavior, which can't be explained on the basis of your conventional Lewis Dot Structure. NO is also similar to that case.

Try learning about MO structure of NO to get a better insight at this.

AGNuke said:
First things first, Oxygen doesn't have d-orbitals, or f-orbitals for that matters.

Well it has empty d-orbitals and f-orbitals. I recall my teacher mentioning this.

AGNuke said:
Secondly, the second LS is perfectly fine, it is just difficult to explain and imagine. You may say that it is quite contradictory to the Lewis Dot Structure conventions. Just talk about Oxygen molecule. You may show it as having a sigma and a pi bond, but the fact is that it isn't present that way. Each Oxygen molecule shares one sigma electron and one whole pi electron pair, such that each oxygen have one lone electron on them, enabling them to exhibit paramagnetic behavior, which can't be explained on the basis of your conventional Lewis Dot Structure. NO is also similar to that case.

Try learning about MO structure of NO to get a better insight at this.

Can you elaborate? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: I tried drawing the MO diagram for NO. I got four populated orbitals in the 2p level. What does this tell me? Again how is oxygen forming five bonds here?

EDIT 2: Okay, I realize now. MO diagram supplements the LS because MO diagrams show both empty orbitals as well as populated and partially populated orbitals. Oxygen isn't actually forming 5 bonds here because the picture my teacher drew is a resonance form. Just because he placed the unpaired electron on oxygen doesn't mean it exists there; it just shows that there is resonance and the bond order implied by the LS is lower than the actual bond order of 2.5. The four filled orbitals in the MO show that we are using four atomic orbitals on oxygen and nitrogen.

Nitric oxide (Figure 1b) is electronically equivalent to dinitrogen (N2) plus an electron, and as a consequence it is paramagnetic with one unpaired electron. The location of the unpaired electron in the π* orbital (Figure 6a) results in a bond order of 2.5 rather than the triple bond observed for N2 (Figure 6b).

Last edited:
Well, it may have any amount of orbitals, but the size of atom is such that the energy difference between 2p and 3s is so overwhelming that Oxygen can't even access it, leave alone 3d and 4f. So it is as good as non-existent.

AGNuke said:
Well, it may have any amount of orbitals, but the size of atom is such that the energy difference between 2p and 3s is so overwhelming that Oxygen can't even access it, leave alone 3d and 4f. So it is as good as non-existent.

Thanks for reiterating something I mentioned in my OP.

1. What is a resonance structure for nitric oxide?

A resonance structure for nitric oxide is a representation of the molecule that shows the distribution of electrons in different arrangements. This is because nitric oxide has a delocalized pi bond, meaning that the electrons are not localized between specific atoms but are shared among multiple atoms.

2. How many resonance structures are there for nitric oxide?

There are two resonance structures for nitric oxide, with the same overall charge but different arrangements of electrons. These structures are called the canonical structures and they contribute to the overall stability of the molecule.

3. What is the significance of resonance structures for nitric oxide?

The significance of resonance structures for nitric oxide is that they help explain the observed properties of the molecule, such as its bond length and bond order. They also provide a more accurate representation of the molecule's electronic structure compared to a single Lewis structure.

4. How are resonance structures for nitric oxide determined?

Resonance structures for nitric oxide are determined by following the rules of resonance theory, which states that the actual electronic structure of a molecule is a combination of all possible resonance structures. These structures are then weighted based on their relative stability.

5. Can resonance structures for nitric oxide be observed experimentally?

No, resonance structures for nitric oxide cannot be observed experimentally. They are simply theoretical representations that help us better understand the electronic structure of the molecule. However, the properties predicted by the resonance structures can be experimentally observed and verified.