Resonant frequency of an annular ring? Hookes Law?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resonant frequency of an annular ring and the equation for it. The ring is clamped at the outside diameter and a force is applied at the inside diameter. The thickness and elastic modulus of the ring are factors in the equation. The resonant frequency of a tuning fork is also mentioned. The use of Bessel functions for cylindrical harmonics, specifically in understanding musical instruments like cymbals, is brought up.
antsknee
Hi,

I am trying to work out the resonant frequency of an annular ring, does anyone know a general equation for it?

For example the ring has an outside diameter = OD and inside diameter = ID. The ring is gently clamped at the outside diameter and a force F applied evenly at the inside diameter. At a particular frequency the amplitude of displacement will be maximum.

I believe it would be something like hookes law. The thickness of the ring would be a factor as well as the elastic modulus of the ring.

Thanks,

Anthony.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29088&d=1287267394.jpg

Attachments

• S6309531.JPG
    S6309531.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been looking at tuning forks for inspiration.

The resonant frequency of a tuning fork is:

f=(1/l2)[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](AE/p)

l=length of the prongs
A=area of prongs
E=youngs modulus of material
p=density of material

I will return with more thoughts as I have them.

Last edited:
I have been searching these forums and it seems I need a Bessel function for cylindrical harmonics. They are used to understand musical instruments such as cymbals. The wikipedia page looks very complicated, I bet I won't get any replies to this thread :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

Related to Resonant frequency of an annular ring? Hookes Law?

1. What is the resonant frequency of an annular ring?

The resonant frequency of an annular ring refers to the frequency at which the ring will vibrate most easily and with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force. It is dependent on the size, shape, and material properties of the ring.

2. How is the resonant frequency of an annular ring calculated?

The resonant frequency of an annular ring can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2π) √(T/m), where f is the frequency, T is the tension in the ring, and m is the mass per unit length.

3. What is Hookes Law and how does it relate to resonant frequency?

Hookes Law states that the force required to extend or compress an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of extension or compression. It relates to resonant frequency as the tension in the annular ring, which is a factor in the calculation of resonant frequency, follows this law.

4. How does the shape of an annular ring affect its resonant frequency?

The shape of an annular ring can greatly affect its resonant frequency. A ring with a larger diameter or a thicker cross-section will have a lower resonant frequency, while a ring with a smaller diameter or a thinner cross-section will have a higher resonant frequency.

5. Can the resonant frequency of an annular ring be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of an annular ring can be changed by altering its size, shape, or material properties. For example, increasing the tension in the ring or changing its material to one with a higher modulus of elasticity will result in a higher resonant frequency.