Resonant Frequency of Open Ended Pipes with a Barrier Imposed

In summary, the conversation is about an open pipe system with a barrier imposed. The results of experimentation show that as the barrier distance decreases, the resonant frequency also decreases, and as the barrier distance increases, the resonant frequency increases until it levels out. The barrier acts as a mirror to sound waves, and as it gets closer to the end of the pipe, the waves interfere with the standing wave of the pipe. This is a function of distance and frequency, with the coupling being proportional to the square of the distance and a phase shift occurring due to reflection. In the boundary case where the two tubes meet, the open pipe becomes closed at one end, resulting in a different resonant frequency. The conversation is part of a high school assignment
Twenty_Three
I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with an open pipe system with a barrier imposed.

Basically, say for a pipe open at both ends, at one end we place a barrier a distance away from the pipe. How would this affect the resonant frequency of the pipe?

From experimentation, results I've gotten show that as the barrier distance decreased, the resonant frequency decreases as well. Likewise as the barrier distance increases, the resonant frequency increases until the point where the barrier has no effect where resonant frequency of pipe levels out.

Does anyone have any idea about the theory behind this? The air particle movement, radiation impedance, free fields, some key terms that I could research (seeing as I'm stuck at the moment on how to explain this phenomena).

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the barrier as a mirror to sound waves. A barrier some distance from the end will behave like having two tubes end to end with a space twice that distance. Far apart they can be in sync without interfering. As they grow closer the waves exiting one's end interferes with the standing wave of the other. This will be a function of distance and freq. The coupling will be proportional to square of the distance and phase shift is distance times freq over speed of sound. (plus a half cycle phase shift due to reflection)

In the boundary case where the two tubes meet you have an open tube of double length at a harmonic where there is a node at mid point or equivalently your original tube becomes closed on that end.

This looks like a great physics problem. What is your interest?

jambaugh said:
Think of the barrier as a mirror to sound waves. A barrier some distance from the end will behave like having two tubes end to end with a space twice that distance. Far apart they can be in sync without interfering. As they grow closer the waves exiting one's end interferes with the standing wave of the other. This will be a function of distance and freq. The coupling will be proportional to square of the distance and phase shift is distance times freq over speed of sound. (plus a half cycle phase shift due to reflection)

In the boundary case where the two tubes meet you have an open tube of double length at a harmonic where there is a node at mid point or equivalently your original tube becomes closed on that end.

This looks like a great physics problem. What is your interest?

Hello Jambaugh,

Thanks for your reply, I'm actually doing this investigation as part of a high school assignment, although I may've bitten off more than I can chew.

The coupling will be proportional to square of the distance and phase shift is distance times freq over speed of sound. (plus a half cycle phase shift due to reflection)

^Would that be referring to N = (D^2f)/4v? What do you mean by the coupling, I'm still slightly puzzled with this. The results I've obtained was that for an open pipes of around 60cmish (excluding end correction), the resonant frequency with the barrier at a distance of 1cm varies only by 2Hz to that of 8cm (where the resonant frequency levels out).

^That's what I was thinking at first, on our spectrum we were getting a really tiny peak at half the loudest peak, which we believe is actually an undertone as opposed to the fundamental. That's why I'm not quite sure as to whether it equates to the tube being closed at one end.

Thanks again for your response :)

What is the resonant frequency of an open-ended pipe with a barrier imposed?

The resonant frequency of an open-ended pipe with a barrier imposed refers to the frequency at which the pipe will vibrate with the greatest amplitude when a sound wave is introduced. This frequency is determined by the length and diameter of the pipe, as well as the speed of sound in the medium it is filled with.

How is the resonant frequency of an open-ended pipe with a barrier imposed calculated?

The resonant frequency of an open-ended pipe with a barrier imposed can be calculated using the formula f = nv/4L, where f is the frequency, n is the harmonic number (1, 2, 3, etc.), v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe. This formula assumes that the pipe is open on both ends and has a barrier imposed at one end.

What is the significance of the resonant frequency in open-ended pipes with a barrier imposed?

The resonant frequency in open-ended pipes with a barrier imposed is significant because it determines the tone or pitch that will be produced when a sound wave is introduced. The pipe will vibrate at its resonant frequency, amplifying the sound and creating a distinct tone.

How does the presence of a barrier affect the resonant frequency in open-ended pipes?

The presence of a barrier at one end of an open-ended pipe changes the way sound waves travel and reflects them back into the pipe. This changes the length of the effective air column and therefore affects the resonant frequency. The barrier acts as a node, creating a standing wave within the pipe.

Can the resonant frequency of open-ended pipes with a barrier imposed be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of open-ended pipes with a barrier imposed can be changed by altering the length or diameter of the pipe, or by changing the speed of sound in the medium. Additionally, the placement and properties of the barrier can also affect the resonant frequency.