Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics

In summary: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be vague. If you're interested in more detail, I can recommend a book that discusses the topic in more detail:"The Effects of General Relativity on Mercury" by J.D. Huntoon.
Al-Layth
I am aware of the Newtonian model of Gravitation and I am interested in Relativistic Mechanics.
I do not know anything about relativistic mechanics other than its more "accurate" at modelling gravitation and that it "reduces" to the classical formulation in some cases.

I only want to be able to use relativistic mechanics to be able to write and solve equations of motions under the influence of gravity, I am not very interested in the other parts of the theory itself.

Can someone recommend a resource so that I can learn to do this? thank you(my mathematical background is only up to vector calculus and PDEs. I am prepared to learn tensor calculus and differential geometry and anything else, though so don't constrain your recommendations out of concern for my lack of math knowledge as then I may not be able to do what I want, that is to use relativistic mechanics to mathematically model gravitation)

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Al-Layth said:
I only want to be able to use relativistic mechanics to be able to write and solve equations of motions under the influence of gravity, I am not very interested in the other parts of the theory itself.
Unfortunately, the equations of motion under the influence of gravity unavoidably involve "the other parts of the theory" in General Relativity, which is the relativistic theory of gravity. The reason is that in order to even have equations of motion, you have to know which solution of the Einstein Field Equation you are using, and that will depend on the distribution of matter and energy that you want to model.

Al-Layth said:
Can someone recommend a resource so that I can learn to do this?
I would start with an introductory textbook on General Relativity. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes are available for free:

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/

Likes vanhees71
Al-Layth said:
Are you sure you need relativistic mechanics? What maximum speed are you interested in?

Likes Demystifier
anorlunda said:
Are you sure you need relativistic mechanics? What maximum speed are you interested in?
Mercury is heavily affected by effects due to general relativity despite having low speed

malawi_glenn said:
Mercury is heavily affected by effects due to general relativity
I'm not sure what you mean by "heavily affected". AFAIK the only GR correction to Newtonian behavior that is observable for Mercury is the extra perihelion precession, which is only 43 arc seconds per century. That's very small.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
43 arc seconds per century
well I meant that it is measurable :)

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
Mercury is heavily affected by effects due to general relativity despite having low speed
I read this half asleep and had a real space cadet moment. I thought you meant elemental Mercury.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Mondayman said:
elemental Mercury
Which is pretty heavy. Ever hold a jar of it?

PeterDonis said:
extra perihelion precession
A lot of people don't know that the GR effect is only about 8% of the total perihelion advance.

Likes vanhees71
The OP seems to have left the room.

malawi_glenn said:
I meant that it is measurable :)
Ok, but "measurable" is a much weaker claim than "heavily affected". Please be careful in choosing your words.

1. What is the purpose of a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics?

A Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics is a formal document that outlines the specific resources needed to conduct research or experiments in the field of relativistic mechanics. It is used to request funding, equipment, materials, or other resources necessary for a scientific investigation.

2. Who can submit a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics?

Typically, a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics is submitted by a scientist or researcher who is leading a project in the field of relativistic mechanics. This could be an individual researcher, a team of scientists, or an institution conducting research in this area.

3. What information should be included in a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics?

A Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics should include a detailed description of the research project or experiment, the specific resources needed, the estimated cost of each resource, and a justification for why each resource is necessary for the project. It should also include a timeline for when the resources will be needed.

4. How is a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics evaluated?

Resource Requests for Relativistic Mechanics are typically evaluated by a committee or panel of experts in the field. They will review the request and determine if the resources being requested are necessary for the project and if the cost is reasonable. They may also consider the potential impact and significance of the research being conducted.

5. What happens after a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics is approved?

If a Resource Request for Relativistic Mechanics is approved, the requested resources will be provided to the researcher or institution. The researcher will then be responsible for using the resources for their intended purpose and reporting any significant findings or results from the research. They may also be required to provide a final report detailing how the resources were used and the outcomes of the research.