Reusable boosters in moon missions

• Thread starter Paul Colby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, reusable boosters can't lift as much, so the launch costs are in the tens of billions while reusable systems are in the tens of millions. The initial test of a new unmanned flight to the moon is incredibly expensive and already very complicated, so it might not be the right time to save (relatively) pennies at the cost of adding more complexity and risk. Eventually, that might change. However, I am skeptical that the business culture can support space travel without unacceptable failure rates.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Wonder how the system trade to use single use launch systems works out?
I’m with everyone else cheering the Artemis launch and the whole return to the moon bit, but I can’t quite see why reusable booster technology wasn’t used. I realize trade studies are just that, studies. So an answer might be complex. The standard answer is reusable boosters can’t lift as much. Fine, divide and conquer.

Let’s say the cost of a single use rocket to lift a payload of weight X is C. If I take out my chainsaw and hack X into say N chunks and use one reusable rocket to orbit the N chunks which I assemble on orbit, then the launch costs is ND where D is the cost of one reusable flight. All I need is that ND << C. So, Artemis launch costs are in the tens of billions while reusable systems are in the tens of millions. I assume this argument hold no water and I would like to know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be a case where the marginal cost savings is not worth the added complexity. The initial test of a new unmanned flight to the moon is incredibly expensive and already very complicated. It might not be the right time to save (relatively) pennies at the cost of adding more complexity and risk. Eventually, that might change.

What I have trouble with is the enormous nonrecurring engineering cost of developing a special purpose single use rocket. I suspect the current fleet of reusable boosters didn’t exist when the trades were made Is the simple answer.

SpaceX works on a trial and error basis. SpaceX tolerates many (even dozens) of failures before success. They learn from each failure.

NASA tolerates no failures. They attempt to design, test and launch with zero failures after launch. As a result, their design and test cycles are must longer and more expensive than SpaceX's. This culture goes all the way back to the 60s. The Saturn V series used for the Apollo Project never experienced a failure at or after launch. Zero.

Many people in the traditional space industries were stunned at how fast SpaceX could innovate.

Likes Benjies, FactChecker, dlgoff and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
SpaceX works on a trial and error basis. SpaceX tolerates many (even dozens) of failures before success. They learn from each failure.

NASA tolerates no failures. They attempt to design, test and launch with zero failures after launch. As a result, their design and test cycles are must longer and more expensive than SpaceX's. This culture goes all the way back to the 60s. The Saturn V series used for the Apollo Project never experienced a failure at or after launch. Zero.

Many people in the traditional space industries were stunned at how fast SpaceX could innovate.

Even after the development, I am skeptical that the business culture can support space travel without unacceptable failure rates. For instance, the tendency to cut corners in nuclear energy has never been fully conquered. Occasional disasters result. I don't know if any commercial business can do much better for space travel.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
SpaceX failure rate at launching satellites is quite low. Also, they have gotten people to and from the ISS. In addition, NASA need not use SpaceX as the only contractor on a project. It’s typical for them to use many.

For the cost of Artemis I would have been tempted to switch approaches as SpaceX technologies matured rather than just slogging on through. Oddly enough, they never contacted me :)

1. How do reusable boosters work in moon missions?

Reusable boosters in moon missions refer to the use of rockets that can be recovered and used again for future missions. These boosters are equipped with advanced technology such as landing legs and guidance systems that allow them to land safely back on Earth after launching a spacecraft towards the moon. This reduces the cost and waste associated with traditional, one-time-use rockets.

2. What are the benefits of using reusable boosters in moon missions?

The use of reusable boosters in moon missions has several benefits. Firstly, it reduces the cost of space exploration as it eliminates the need to build new rockets for each mission. It also reduces the amount of space debris and pollution caused by discarded rocket parts. Additionally, reusable boosters allow for quicker turnaround times between missions, making it possible to conduct more frequent and efficient moon missions.

3. How do reusable boosters differ from traditional rockets in moon missions?

Traditional rockets used in moon missions are usually one-time-use and are not equipped with the technology necessary for safe landing and reusability. This means that they are discarded after a single use, resulting in high costs and waste. In contrast, reusable boosters are designed to be recovered and reused multiple times, making them a more cost-effective and sustainable option for moon missions.

4. What challenges are associated with using reusable boosters in moon missions?

One of the main challenges associated with reusable boosters in moon missions is the development and implementation of the technology necessary for safe landing and reusability. This requires significant research, testing, and investment. Additionally, the weight and size of the boosters may also pose challenges in terms of launch capabilities and payload capacity.

5. How do reusable boosters contribute to the future of space exploration?

The use of reusable boosters in moon missions is a significant step towards sustainable and cost-effective space exploration. It allows for more frequent and efficient missions, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in space technology. It also sets a precedent for future missions to other planets and celestial bodies, making space exploration more accessible and feasible for future generations.