Review my simplified Lab instructions for Alum

• Thread starter MightyCatt
  • Start date
MightyCatt
Hello, I recently started writing my own step by step instructions for lab as the ones in my lab book are intimidating a little hard to follow. This is for General Chemistry 1 LAB. It's for a synthesis of Alum. Would someone review my simplified instructions and give me feedback? I would appreciate it if so, Thanks! :D
20231009_091738.jpg
ALUMSS.png
ALUMSS2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your instructions are a little fuzzy and hard to read. Can you attach a PDF copy of them? Thanks.

Likes MightyCatt
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Your instructions are a little fuzzy and hard to read. Can you attach a PDF copy of them? Thanks.
Adobe LAB3-ALUM

Oops, sorry about that. Here ya go, I made a Adobe PDF sharing link and attached a word doc, let me know if you still have trouble accessing/seeing the document. Thanks!

Attachments

• LAB 3 Instructions.docx
    30.6 KB · Views: 40
MightyCatt said:
I made a Adobe PDF sharing link and attached a word doc,
It's best to print the Word doc to PDF and attach it directly. Links can be broken over time, and Word attachments can contain macros.

Also, I didn't see a section at the beginning of the document outlining any general or specific safety issues. Should there be one?

berkeman said:
Also, I didn't see a section at the beginning of the document outlining any general or specific safety issues. Should there be one?
Got it, I will remember that. The original lab instructions contain safety information on a different page, these instructions are just for me to follow them step by step and so I don't let lost in the paragraphs of the original instructions.

Attachments

• ALUM Lab 3.pdf
    533.1 KB · Views: 52
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of the lab?

The purpose of this lab is to synthesize alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) from aluminum foil and potassium hydroxide. This reaction demonstrates the principles of stoichiometry and the formation of a double salt compound.

2. What materials are needed for the lab?

The materials needed for this lab include aluminum foil, potassium hydroxide, distilled water, beakers, stirring rod, filter paper, funnel, hot plate, and a balance.

3. What safety precautions should be taken during the lab?

Safety precautions that should be taken during the lab include wearing goggles and gloves, as well as using caution when handling hot objects and chemicals. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow proper disposal procedures for any waste materials.

4. What are the steps for the lab procedure?

The steps for the lab procedure are as follows: 1) Measure and record the mass of aluminum foil. 2) Dissolve the aluminum foil in a solution of potassium hydroxide and distilled water. 3) Heat the solution on a hot plate until it reaches a boil. 4) Filter the solution to remove any impurities. 5) Allow the solution to cool and crystallize. 6) Collect the alum crystals and determine their mass. 7) Calculate the percent yield of the reaction.

5. What is the expected outcome of the lab?

The expected outcome of the lab is to successfully synthesize alum and determine the percent yield of the reaction. The alum crystals should be white and have a defined shape. The percent yield should be close to 100%, indicating a successful reaction.