Rewrite an Expression to Eliminate Absolute Value

I appreciate the help.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving absolute value and its solution given by David Cohen. It is explained that the absolute value function can be thought of as a piecewise-defined function and that both cases should be considered when approaching a problem involving absolute value.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Rewrite an expression to eliminate absolute value.
Relevant Equations
n/a
See attachment.

I don't understand the solution given by David Cohen.

1. Note: x^2 is nonnegative for any real number x. This is because any value for x when squared is positive. Yes?

2. If x is greater than or equal to 0, then I can say that -2 - x^2 is negative in value, right?

3. What is David Cohen really trying to explain here?

Attachments

• 20210622_112104.jpg
    20210622_112104.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 102
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: Rewrite an expression to eliminate absolute value.
Relevant Equations:: n/a

See attachment.

I don't understand the solution given by David Cohen.

1. Note: x^2 is nonnegative for any real number x. This is because any value for x when squared is positive. Yes?
Yes
nycmathguy said:
2. If x is greater than or equal to 0, then I can say that -2 - x^2 is negative in value, right?
And you can say the same thing if ##x < 0##.
nycmathguy said:
3. What is David Cohen really trying to explain here?
That ##|-2 - x^2| = 2 + x^2##

Taking this further, it's easy to see that ##|-2 - x^2| \ge 2##.

Mark44 said:
Yes
And you can say the same thing if ##x < 0##.
That ##|-2 - x^2| = 2 + x^2##

Taking this further, it's easy to see that ##|-2 - x^2| \ge 2##.
Sorry but I don't understand what you're saying.

##-2-x^2## is negative for any real number x.
Hence by definition of absolute value it will be ##|-2-x^2|=-(-2-x^2)## and after that it is algebra 1 process to show that## -(-2-x^2)=2+x^2## (can give you the detailed in between algebra 1 steps if you are interested).

Likes nycmathguy
Setting ##y=-2-x^2## we know that y<0 for any x, hence by definition of absolute value ##|y|=-y## in case you are wondering how we apply the definition in this case.

Likes nycmathguy
Thank you.

Likes Delta2
I think the time has come for me to reconsider why I joined this site. Maybe I will leave.

nycmathguy said:
I think the time has come for me to reconsider why I joined this site. Maybe I will leave.
Why is that, the only thing I find wrong with you is that you post multiples of similar problems, my guess is that you do it in order to be absolutely sure that you got it right.

Delta2 said:
Why is that, the only thing I find wrong with you is that you post multiples of similar problems, my guess is that you do it in order to be absolutely sure that you got it right.
I am just thinking about it. I post multiple problems to get additional practice.

Likes Delta2
I would recommend you not to leave. Even if some really good science advisors-homework helpers have unfriendly attitude towards you, and probably not willing to help you in the future, we can travel the road without them and see how it goes. I hope it goes well!

[Post edited by a Mentor]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nycmathguy
In general. Think of the absolute value as a function (well it is), that is piecewise-defined.

Ie., |y| = y, if y≥ 0 or |y| = - y , if y<0.

So when ever you see the absolute value function in a problem, you should think about both cases.
However, with the problem you listed, we know that the square of any number is positive, and the sum of two positive numbers is positive...

Likes nycmathguy and Delta2
MidgetDwarf said:
In general. Think of the absolute value as a function (well it is), that is piecewise-defined.

Ie., |y| = y, if y≥ 0 or |y| = - y , if y<0.

So when ever you see the absolute value function in a problem, you should think about both cases.
However, with the problem you listed, we know that the square of any number is positive, and the sum of two positive numbers is positive...
Thank you everyone.

1. What is the purpose of rewriting an expression to eliminate absolute value?

Rewriting an expression to eliminate absolute value allows for easier manipulation and simplification of mathematical equations. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between variables and constants in an equation.

2. How do you rewrite an expression to eliminate absolute value?

To eliminate absolute value from an expression, you must first identify the variable or variables within the absolute value bars. Then, you can create two separate equations, one with a positive value for the variable and one with a negative value for the variable. Finally, you can solve each equation separately to find the possible values for the variable.

3. Can any expression with absolute value be rewritten without it?

Yes, any expression with absolute value can be rewritten without it. However, the resulting expression may be more complex and may involve multiple cases depending on the value of the variable within the absolute value bars.

4. Why is it important to eliminate absolute value in some mathematical equations?

In some cases, absolute value can make an equation more difficult to solve or understand. By eliminating it, the equation becomes simpler and easier to work with. Additionally, eliminating absolute value can help identify any potential extraneous solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to rewriting an expression to eliminate absolute value?

One limitation is that the resulting expression may become more complex and involve multiple cases. Additionally, some equations may not have a solution after eliminating absolute value, in which case the original equation would need to be used. It is important to carefully consider whether eliminating absolute value is necessary and beneficial in each specific case.