Riddle question max profit + units

Why are you equating a price with a price times the number of units sold (which would give you a revenue)?I'm sorry, but I must sign off this thread. In summary, we are trying to find the maximum profit based on the given information regarding demand, cost, and price. To find the maximum profit, we need to find the revenue function, which is the product of the demand and the price. The cost function is given. Then we set up an equation for profit in terms of x, the number of units produced and sold. Then we differentiate the profit function, set it to 0, and solve for x. Finally, we substitute this value of x into the demand and revenue functions
MrNeWBiE
riddle question " max profit + units "

Homework Statement

There is no demand for a new brand of mobile phones if the price is 20 $ or more. For each drop of 1 $ in the price, the demand increases by 500 units.The cost of producing x units is (12x + 2000)$. How many phones should be produced and sold to obtain a maximum profit? What is the price per unit charged to get maximum profit?

The Attempt at a Solution

well to know the units i should use x=-b/2a
and the max $ from y=c-(b^2/4a)

but can someone tell me how to make the equation for this question ,,,

P=R-C ,,,
C=(12x + 2000) ,,,
how to find R ?

Physics news on Phys.org

can you give a formula for what the net profit is, if the price is y. It only needs to be valid for (0<y<20)
can you find the maximum of that?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

so i keep going down in the numbers till i find the max ,,,?

or there is a better way ,,, :rolleyes:

when 20$ ==> P = 20(x+0).(x)-(12x+200) " is it the right formula " ?

well wait ,,,,,

this is the right formula ==> (20-x)(500x)-(12x+200)

please need your helps,,,,,

well wait ,,,,,

please need your helps,,,,,

MrNeWBiE said:

Homework Statement

There is no demand for a new brand of mobile phones if the price is 20 $ or more. For each drop of 1 $ in the price, the demand increases by 500 units.The cost of producing x units is (12x + 2000)$. How many phones should be produced and sold to obtain a maximum profit? What is the price per unit charged to get maximum profit?

The Attempt at a Solution

well to know the units i should use x=-b/2a
and the max $ from y=c-(b^2/4a)
These formulas are applicable only if you are trying to find the maximum point on a parabola.
MrNeWBiE said:
but can someone tell me how to make the equation for this question ,,,

P=R-C ,,,
C=(12x + 2000) ,,,
how to find R ?

MrNeWBiE said:
well wait ,,,,,

First, it's not a formula, because it is not an equation, and besides, you have an error in it.

You need to approach this problem in a more systematic way, by finding the demand and revenue.

You can assume that the number of phone units sold will be equal to the demand. What's the equation that represents the demand D as a function of the sale price? You can assume that the demand function is linear - IOW, its graph is a straight line. Two points on this line are (0, 20) and (500, 19).

The revenue is going to be the number of units sold (the demand) times the sale price.

yet i didn't understand :zzz: ,,, how to find D and the price ,, ?

because x is for the units not for $ ,,, so it's hard for me ,,,

the only think on my brain for it ,,,

(500x)(20-x) :frown:

Do you know how to find the equation of a straight line given two points on the line? The line goes through (0, 20) and (500, 19).

so i sould find the slope then solve it ,,, ?

y=(-1/500)x+20 ,,,, this is the demand

and and from where i find the price and put it ,,, ?

is it ,,,, R = D . price or R = D . units ?

Last edited:

if it's R = D . units i think i solve it ,,,,

it's going to be 2000 units and 6000 $ ...

or not all my work is wrong

MrNeWBiE said:
so i sould find the slope then solve it ,,, ?

y=(-1/500)x+20 ,,,, this is the demand
No. You have two points on the line, so find the slope. Then use either of the points and the slope in the point-slope form of the equation of a line.
MrNeWBiE said:
and and from where i find the price and put it ,,, ?

is it ,,,, R = D . price or R = D . units ?

R = D * price

so it's going to be

y=((-1/500)x+20).x-(12x+200)

then solve for it ? or something missing ?

No again. You keep jumping to incorrect conclusions without showing the work that you are doing.

You have two points on the line, so find the slope. It is NOT -1/500!

Show the work you do to find the slope of the line between (0, 20) and (500, 19).

the slope = 20-19/0-500 ...

m = -1/500 ,,,, still the slope wrong ?

y-y1=m(x-x1) ,,,,, y-20=-1/500(x-0)

y=(-1/500)x+20

now plug it

(-1/500)x+20 ( price ) - (12x+200) ,,,,
what i put for the price ,,, i can't use " x " because "x" for the unit

so what i should put ,,, ?

Sorry, my mistake, and I apologize for confusing you. I wrote the points in the wrong order way back in post #8. The points on the demand function should be (20, 0) and (19, 500). The slope is (500 - 0)/(19 - 20) = -500.

So now what do you get for the demand function?

i go back to my old book and i found

demand function = price ... where is R = price . unit ...

so p = R - c ==> p = p.x-C ,,,

right or i read something wrong ..?

MrNeWBiE said:
i go back to my old book and i found

demand function = price ... where is R = price . unit ...

so p = R - c ==> p = p.x-C ,,,

right or i read something wrong ..?
In this problem, demand is a specific function of price. The problem says that at $20, the demand is 0, and for each $1 reduction in price, the demand increases by 500 units. Per the given information, the demand function is linear. The slope of the line is -500 (units/$). What is the equation of the demand function?

Yes, revenue = price x number of units sold. In this problem the assumption is that the no. of units sold equals the demand.

This equation of yours -- p = R - c -- doesn't make any sense, if p represents price. The revenue is the amount brought in from the sale of some number of phones.
Profit = Revenue - Cost, but P (Profit) and p (unit price) are different.

d(f) = -500x+20

then i plug this with (cost) or i should add something before adding ?

yo mark ,,,, i think the first points you gave me was right ,,,
because i try with calculator every time 1$ down ,,, add 500 units ,,,

and i get the same answer as the first two ponits,,,,

MrNeWBiE said:
d(f) = -500x+20

then i plug this with (cost) or i should add something before adding ?
The slope is right, but the formula isn't. A better choice instead of x might be p, for price.

We know that d(20) = 0, but your formula gives d(20) = -500(20) + 20 = -9980. You can get the equation of the line by using one of the points you know, say (20, 0) and the slope, -500, the equation of the line is d - 0 = -500(p - 20).

MrNeWBiE said:
yo mark ,,,, i think the first points you gave me was right ,,,
because i try with calculator every time 1$ down ,,, add 500 units ,,,

and i get the same answer as the first two ponits,,,,
It all depends on which variable is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable. If you want demand d as a function of price p, then the given points are (20, 0) and (19, 500).

Mark44 said:
It all depends on which variable is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable. If you want demand d as a function of price p, then the given points are (20, 0) and (19, 500).

well i will use this because its give me the answers ,,, and today i should give the doctor the homework and yet 6 questions i didn't finish xD

thx mark ,,, i will try the other way later

and btw the mark ,,,, since the question say " x " is the unit

then the first two points you gave me are right ,,,,

If you write demand as a function of price, then each point on the graph will have coordinates (price, demand). Two points are (20, 0) and (19, 500).

If you want to look at price as a function of demand, then the order would be reversed, and the two functions would be inverses of each other.

aha ,,,,

well i consider " demand as a function of price "

so i think it was right ,,,

thx a lot mark

1. What is a riddle question about "max profit + units"?

A riddle question about "max profit + units" is a puzzle or question that involves finding the maximum profit possible while considering the number of units sold or produced.

2. How do you solve a riddle question about "max profit + units"?

To solve a riddle question about "max profit + units," you will need to use mathematical strategies such as optimization or linear programming to find the maximum profit while considering the number of units involved.

3. What are some real-life applications of riddle questions about "max profit + units"?

Riddle questions about "max profit + units" have many real-life applications, such as in business, finance, and economics, where companies need to find the most profitable production or sales strategy while considering the number of units produced or sold.

4. How can solving riddle questions about "max profit + units" benefit society?

Solving riddle questions about "max profit + units" can benefit society by helping companies and organizations make more informed and profitable decisions, which can lead to economic growth and stability.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving riddle questions about "max profit + units"?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and educational websites, that offer strategies and practice problems for solving riddle questions about "max profit + units."