Riemannian symmetric spaces and Lie algebras

In summary, the Lie algebra sl(2,R) is generated by the three Killing vectors of the hyperbolic plane and serves as the metric tensor for the manifold. The isometry group of the hyperbolic plane is the Lie group SL(2,R). Additionally, for semisimple Lie algebras with nondegenerate Killing form, the Killing form serves as the metric tensor for the corresponding Lie group and there is a way to find a metric on the manifold whose isometry group is said Lie group.
TrickyDicky
I'm interested in the crossover of Lie groups/differential geometry and I'm a bit confused about the relation of Lie algebras with symmetric spaces.
Take for instance the Lie group G=SL(2,R), we take the quotient by K=SO(2) as isotropic group(maximal compact subgroup) and get the symmetric space G/K= H2(hyperbolic plane).
How is it then the tangent vector space of the hyperbolic plane exactly related to the Lie algebra sl(2,R) of G (if at all)?
Thanks in advance, I would also be interested in references on introductory textbooks that treat Lie groups from the geometrical side rather than the purely abstract algebraic one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lie algebra sl(2,R) is generated by the three Killing vectors of the hyperbolic plane. Should be a simple calculation to do if you want to see for yourself.

Ben Niehoff said:
The Lie algebra sl(2,R) is generated by the three Killing vectors of the hyperbolic plane. Should be a simple calculation to do if you want to see for yourself.

Hi Ben, thanks for that hint.
I'm trying to make some conceptual connections to get an intuitive understanding of Lie algebras wrt Riemannian manifolds, I'm trying to link the Lie algebras in Riemannian manifolds with the group of isometries of the manifold, so what you say makes sense since Killing fields are generators of isometries and form a Lie subalgebra of vector fields on the manifold. So I gues in the case of the hyperbolic plane, sl(2,R) can be considered the Lie algebra of the isometry group (with the isometry group being the Lie group SL(2,R)? of the hyperbolic plane, is this correct?

Right.

For hyperbolic planes, there is a trick that makes this easy to visualize. A hyperbolic n-plane embeds isometrically in [itex]R^{n,1}[/itex] as one sheet of a two-sheeted hyperboloid inside the lightcone. All the symmetries of H^n then correspond to point symmetries of the origin in [itex]R^{n,1}[/itex]; i.e., the Lorentz group SO(n,1). For n = 2, we have so(2,1) = sl(2,R).

(Incidentally, the one-sheeted hyperboloid outside the lightcone is de Sitter space.)

In fact, ALL the SO(p,q) groups can be realized as isometry groups on quadric surfaces in [itex]R^{p,q}[/itex] in a similar fashion. For other Lie groups, I don't know of a simple trick.

However, given the standard Killing form on the Lie group (which gives a metric on the group manifold itself), I think there is a straightforward way to find a metric on the manifold whose isometry group is said Lie group (but I don't know what it is).

Ben Niehoff said:
However, given the standard Killing form on the Lie group (which gives a metric on the group manifold itself), I think there is a straightforward way to find a metric on the manifold whose isometry group is said Lie group (but I don't know what it is).

Thanks, this helps me figure ot what I had in mind in the OP:
A way to relate the Lie algebra of the group of isometries from a given Riemannian manifold, to the inner products (metric tensor) of each manifold point's tangent space.
For semisimple Lie algebras like sl(2,R) in which the Killing form is nondegenerate it serves as metric tensor of the manifold according to wikipedia.
Would this Killing form of sl(2,R) be the metric tensor of the manifold (in this case the hyperbolic plane) whose group of isometries is the Lie group SL(2,R)?

To formulate my question better as I obviously implied something wrong in my previous post question. The nondegenerate Killing form of a semisimple Lie algebra is the metric tensor of the corresponding Lie group, does anyone know the above mentioned way to find a metric on the manifold whose isometry group is said Lie group?

1. What are Riemannian symmetric spaces?

Riemannian symmetric spaces are a type of smooth manifold in which the curvature at each point is the same in all directions. They are characterized by their symmetry, meaning that there is an isometry (a distance-preserving transformation) that takes any point on the space to any other point. These spaces are important in differential geometry and have applications in physics, particularly in the theory of relativity.

2. What are Lie algebras?

Lie algebras are mathematical structures that arise in the study of continuous symmetries. They consist of a vector space together with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket, which satisfies certain properties. Lie algebras play a crucial role in the theory of Lie groups, which are groups that have a smooth structure and can be used to describe symmetries in a wide range of mathematical and physical systems.

3. How are Riemannian symmetric spaces related to Lie algebras?

Riemannian symmetric spaces and Lie algebras are closely connected through the concept of Lie groups. Specifically, every Riemannian symmetric space can be associated with a Lie group, and the Lie algebra of this group captures important geometric properties of the space. Conversely, given a Lie algebra, there is a corresponding class of symmetric spaces called the symmetric spaces of the same Lie type. This connection allows for the use of tools and techniques from both differential geometry and abstract algebra in the study of these spaces.

4. What are some examples of Riemannian symmetric spaces?

There are many examples of Riemannian symmetric spaces, including spheres, Euclidean spaces, and hyperbolic spaces. In addition, many classical groups in mathematics, such as the general linear group and the special orthogonal group, can be viewed as Riemannian symmetric spaces. Other examples include grassmannians, flag manifolds, and the symmetric spaces of compact Lie groups.

5. What are some applications of Riemannian symmetric spaces and Lie algebras?

Riemannian symmetric spaces and Lie algebras have diverse applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, they are used to study the geometry of manifolds, as well as in representation theory and algebraic geometry. In physics, they have applications in areas such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning, where they provide a framework for understanding and analyzing complex data sets.