Right Hand Rule for Electromagnets

In summary, the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the field lines and the fingers curling in the direction of the current. The direction of the current is conventional, opposite to the direction of electron flow. A drawing or diagram may not accurately show the direction of the current, so it's important to keep this in mind when using the right hand rule. The left hand rule can also be used, which gives the opposite result.
N-SKY
Ok I’m trying to understand the right hand rule in relation to electromagnets. Since I’m a visual learner I made myself a little diagram. Is my little diagram correctly showing the flow of electrons relative to the magnetic poles?
Also does the core and helix being slightly curved affect the lines of magnetic force as opposed to the core being straight?
eMAG_s.png

Physics news on Phys.org
N-SKY said:
Ok I’m trying to understand the right hand rule in relation to electromagnets. Since I’m a visual learner I made myself a little diagram. Is my little diagram correctly showing the flow of electrons relative to the magnetic poles?
Also does the core and helix being slightly curved affect the lines of magnetic force as opposed to the core being straight?
View attachment 276265
It's not clear from the drawing whether the winding around the core is left handed or right handed. In other words, is the winding such that the wire leaving the positive terminal is wrapped from the front of the core towards the back or the other way around?

Likes davenn
is the winding such that the wire leaving the positive terminal is wrapped from the front of the core towards the back or the other way around?

Hey thanks for the reply.

From my basic understanding the wrapping of the wire is not that important. It is the direction of the electric flow, no?

In my image the wire leaving the positive terminal is connected to the “north” side.

But here is a side view of the wrapping. Hope that’s more clear.

side_view.jpg

Inductor-magnetic-field.jpg

With N on the left, S on the right end of the coil

Note it is showing conventional current, not electron flow

so that makes your diagram incorrect :wink: That is, to satisfy your magnetic polarity, your battery polarity needs to be reversed

(Electron flow will be IN on the Nth end of the coil and OUT on the Sth end of the coilDave

Likes N-SKY
As @davenn already noted, to get the field lines pointing as shown in post #1, the battery must be connected as shown below. Current flow is conventionally opposite to electron flow, from positve battery terminal to negative. If you wrap the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the current, you thumb will point to the left which means that the field lines will come out the "N" side, loop around and go into the "S" side.

Coil.png

Likes davenn and N-SKY
And of course the Magnetic Field lines do not directly indicate the force on a charge but requires another exercise of the right hand rule.

hutchphd said:
And of course the Magnetic Field lines do not directly indicate the force on a charge but requires another exercise of the right hand rule.
... if the charge is moving.

Likes hutchphd
...Note it is showing conventional current, not electron flow

...Current flow is conventionally opposite to electron flow

Ahh ok. So the right hand rule works with conventional current direction and not the electron flow direction. I think that’s what was confusing me.

Thanks for the help guys.

Likes davenn
N-SKY said:
So the right hand rule works with conventional current direction and not the electron flow direction.
Note that the left hand gives the negated result of the right hand.

1. What is the Right Hand Rule for Electromagnets?

The Right Hand Rule for Electromagnets is a method used to determine the direction of the magnetic field produced by an electric current in a wire. It also helps to determine the direction of the force experienced by a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

2. How do you use the Right Hand Rule for Electromagnets?

To use the Right Hand Rule for Electromagnets, point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the wire. Then, curl your fingers around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field. Your fingers will then point in the direction of the force experienced by the wire.

3. Why is the Right Hand Rule important in electromagnetism?

The Right Hand Rule is important in electromagnetism because it allows us to determine the direction of the magnetic field and force in a current-carrying wire. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnets and their applications in various devices.

4. Is the Right Hand Rule the same for all types of electromagnets?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule is the same for all types of electromagnets, whether they are solenoids, electromagnets, or straight wires. The only difference is the direction of the current flow and the resulting direction of the magnetic field and force.

5. Can the Right Hand Rule be used for both AC and DC currents?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for both AC and DC currents. However, for AC currents, the direction of the magnetic field and force will constantly change as the current changes direction. For DC currents, the direction will remain constant.