Right Qualifications for DFT in Industry

In summary, this person has a background in computational condensed matter, HPC, and industry co-op jobs. They would like to do simulation or numerical work on nanoelectronic devices, but their background may not be as attractive as someone with experimental skills.
maverick_starstrider
Hi All,

I'm finishing up my PhD in Computational Condensed Matter. I've worked almost exclusively in spin systems using things like Monte Carlo and Exact Diagonalization. However, my specialty is in producing high-quality, high-performance, often parallel research codes (i.e. none of my codes have used other libraries, they're all written by me and probably internationally competitive for the exact esoteric problem I was working on). I've also had 3 industry co-op jobs utilizing a variety of numerical techniques.

So long story short I'm a condensed matterist with a pretty decent and robust background in computational theory and HPC (high-performance computing).

I'm now doing the job hunt and what I'd like to do, in a perfect world, is do simulation/numerical work on sort of nanoelectronic devices such as spintronics, graphene, crazy heterojunctions, etc. However, I'm starting to get the impression that most of this industry or near-industry postdoc work is using DFT (Density Functional Theory) and seems to just be done using available open source software libraries.

I have no experimental skills and I don't know how attractive my HPC background would look if these groups are just using some black box libraries.

Do you guys think these sorts of jobs are a slim chance for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for a post-doc, I would not see any problem with this. Doing something different than you did before is the point of a post-doc, after all.

But just a comment on the DFT & similar approaches: I would recommend not calling them "black-box libraries". And the reason people "just use" them instead of making their own is that making a competitive solid state DFT program is *at least* two orders of magnitude more complicated than hacking up some Fermion exact diagonalization or quantum Monte Carlo program. Nevertheless, if you would like to focus on the development of such programs: That is also a scientific discipline, followed in many groups (e.g., look up Georg Kresse in Vienna, or Juerg Hutter or Joost VandeVondele in Zuerich). Typically you would then work on some aspect of improved algorithms, and do some applications that profit from this.

Thanks so much man. I actually looked into the groups (and others) that you posted. I appreciate the reply.

1. What qualifications do I need to work in DFT in industry?

To work in DFT (Design for Test) in the industry, you typically need a degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field. Many companies also prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher. Additional qualifications and certifications such as knowledge of programming languages and experience with specific software tools may also be required.

2. Can I work in DFT without a degree?

It is possible to work in DFT without a degree, but it may be more difficult to find job opportunities and advance in your career. Employers often prefer candidates with a degree and relevant experience, as DFT requires a strong foundation in electrical engineering concepts and techniques.

3. How important is experience in DFT for getting a job in the industry?

Experience in DFT is highly valued by companies in the industry. It demonstrates your practical knowledge and skills in the field, and can give you a competitive edge in the job market. Many employers prioritize candidates with hands-on experience and may offer internships or entry-level positions to gain experience.

4. Are there any specific certifications that are beneficial for a career in DFT?

While certifications are not always required, they can be beneficial for a career in DFT. Some popular certifications for DFT professionals include the IEEE Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP) and the IEEE Certified Computer Software Engineer (CCSE) certifications. These certifications can demonstrate your expertise and dedication to the field.

5. How can I stay updated with the latest advancements in DFT technology?

To stay updated with the latest advancements in DFT technology, you can attend industry conferences, workshops, and seminars. You can also join professional organizations and networks, such as the IEEE Computer Society and the International Test Conference, to connect with other DFT professionals and stay informed about industry developments.