Rigid Body Dynamics in CAD/CAE

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rigid body dynamics analyses in CAE for a final year project. The person asking the question has been using AnSys for FEA but has stuck with the Mechanism application in CREO for rigid body dynamics analyses due to familiarity and accurate results. They ask for clarification on how rigid body dynamics analyses work and if it is a type of FEA or a different method. The respondent explains that the main difference is the incorporation of time and variable calculations, similar to the difference between pictures and videos.
CameronRose
Hi folks,

This week I have a question about rigid body dynamics analyses in CAE. This is in relation to the final year project of my degree. Over the past few months I've been working with AnSys 18.1 for FEA however, I've reserved AnSys exclusively for static analyses. For rigid body dynamics analyses I have stuck to using the Mechanism application within CREO 3.

I'm aware that AnSys would likely give more control over analysis settings and aspects like meshing however, I've carried on with CREO as I'm much more familiar with their platform and the results that it has given me have matched up almost exactly to my analytical method using free body diagrams.

My question is how do rigid body dynamics analyses work? In CAE is rigid body dynamics a type of FEA or are the two entirely different in method? If it's a different thing then does rigid body dynamics essentially just automate the calculation of the same vectors that I have done by hand?

Apologies if I'm asking the wrong question or it's too vague, just trying to get a better understanding of what's actually going on when I run an analysis.

Cameron

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Cameron,

I'm no expert in this, just dabbled with some FEA in SolidWorks and other simulation software for a couple of years, so if anyone comes along feel free to correct me. From experience, it seems like the main distinguishing factor between static and dynamic is just the function of time and how variable your variables are (haha). The software does calculations for every element at every point in time, so it's essentially doing static FEA through time. As far as I know, it's kinda like how pictures and videos differ.

Cheers, and all the best for your FYP!

1. What is rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics is a branch of mechanics that studies the motion and forces of solid objects that do not deform, also known as rigid bodies.

2. How is rigid body dynamics used in CAD/CAE?

Rigid body dynamics is used in CAD/CAE software to simulate the motion and forces of solid objects in a virtual environment. This allows engineers and designers to analyze the performance and behavior of their designs before physically building them.

3. What are some common applications of rigid body dynamics in CAD/CAE?

Some common applications of rigid body dynamics in CAD/CAE include analyzing the movement and stability of mechanical systems, predicting the behavior of structures under various loads, and simulating the dynamics of vehicles and machinery.

4. What are some challenges in implementing rigid body dynamics in CAD/CAE software?

One of the main challenges in implementing rigid body dynamics in CAD/CAE software is accurately representing the physical properties and interactions of real-world objects. This requires precise mathematical models and complex algorithms to simulate the dynamics of rigid bodies.

5. How can rigid body dynamics simulations improve the design process?

Rigid body dynamics simulations can improve the design process by providing engineers and designers with valuable insights into the performance and behavior of their designs. This allows for faster and more efficient design iterations, reducing the time and cost of physical prototyping.