RIP Nichelle Nichols, aka Lt. Uhura from Star Trek

In summary, actress Nichelle Nichols, best known for her groundbreaking role as Lt. Nyota Uhura in "Star Trek: The Original Series," has passed away at the age of 89 from natural causes. She was known for breaking racial barriers on US TV and was a pioneer for diversity in the space program. She also participated in a fan event in British Columbia, Canada in 2018 and was remembered for her kind and gracious personality. Her passing is mourned alongside the loss of Bill Russell, a rational and admirable individual.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actress Nichelle Nichols, best known for her groundbreaking portrayal of Lt. Nyota Uhura in “Star Trek: The Original Series,” has died at age 89, of natural causes.

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 1.26.44 PM.png

Besides being on the first Star Trek show, she was also central to some important racial firsts on US TV:
  • The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. called it “the first non-stereotypical role portrayed by a Black woman in television history.”
  • Nichols is widely known for participating in one of the first interracial kisses on US television when her character kissed James T. Kirk, portrayed by White Canadian actor William Shatner.
After “Trek’s” three-season run, Nichols dedicated herself to the space program. She helped NASA in making the agency more diverse, helping to recruit astronauts Sally Ride, Judith Resnik and Guion Bluford, among others.

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes StatGuy2000, Klystron, mcastillo356 and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I will always remember the following dialogue I once had on the internet:

Me: "When I was a kid I had a crush on her."
Friend: "When we were young we all had a crush on her."

Likes Bystander, Borg, pinball1970 and 3 others
Nichelle Nichols was one of the participants at the annual Northern FanCon event in my small city in British Columbia Canada in May 2018. My daughter attended, and she spoke briefly with Nichols.

Daugher: "Hi."
Nichols: "Hello. How are you?"
Daughter: "Good. I am a very big fan of the original Star Trek."
Nichols: "That's nice. Thank you for coming."

Nichols also participated in a question-answer session with our local paper.

I also note the passing today of Bill Russell. People as rational as he are becoming terribly hard to find.

Likes Astronuc and BillTre

What is the cause of Nichelle Nichols' death?

Nichelle Nichols passed away on December 29, 2021 at the age of 89 due to complications from dementia.

What was Nichelle Nichols most known for?

Nichelle Nichols was most known for her role as Lieutenant Uhura in the original Star Trek series. She was one of the first African American women to have a major role on a television series.

What other roles did Nichelle Nichols have besides Lt. Uhura?

In addition to her iconic role as Lt. Uhura, Nichelle Nichols also appeared in various films and TV shows such as The Twilight Zone, Heroes, and Snow Dogs. She was also a singer and dancer, performing on Broadway and in other stage productions.

How did Nichelle Nichols' role in Star Trek impact the entertainment industry?

Nichelle Nichols' role as Lt. Uhura broke barriers and paved the way for more diversity and representation in the entertainment industry. Her character was a powerful and intelligent woman, challenging stereotypes and inspiring future generations.

What was Nichelle Nichols' legacy?

Nichelle Nichols' legacy extends beyond her role as Lt. Uhura. She was a trailblazer, activist, and inspiration to many. Her impact on the entertainment industry and society as a whole will continue to be felt for years to come.

Back