Robotics Kit for Beginner Science Major: Exploring Options

In summary, the conversation discussed the best robotics kit to buy for a beginner with no prior experience. Most posters recommended the Lego Mindstorms NXT set, but the original poster was specifically looking for a kit for a five-year-old. The person interested in buying the kit is a freshman physics major with some programming experience and is looking for a kit that is simple enough for a beginner but also advanced enough for several months of work. They are currently considering Trossen Robotics, Robot Shop, Vex Robotics, and Lego Mindstorms NXT. Other suggestions were also given, such as Parallax and Arduino kits. The person was also asked about their specific goals for the robotics kit.
Animastryfe
I want to buy a robotics kit for something to do over the summer. Virtually all of the posters in this thread endorse the Lego Mindstorms NXT set, but the OP in that thread was specifically asking for a robotics kit for a five year old. However, I am impressed with the kit from what I could learn about it on its website.

I'm a freshman physics major. I did not have any programming experience prior to this year, but as I am doing research with a professor I am learning C and Python (by myself). I have absolutely no problem with learning some advanced things, but I would like the kit to be simple enough at first for someone with no experience in robotics. I also don't want a kit that requires me to make the parts, but I haven't seen a kit that requires that yet so this probably won't be a problem. Ideally, the kit should be newbie friendly enough for a science major who doesn't have much (or any) experience with such things, but advanced enough for a solid few months of work.

As I am a total beginner, there are vast amounts of things that I don't know that I don't know. Please ask questions or disabuse me of any misconceptions that I have.

I'm currently looking at these kits, but other suggestions are welcome:
Trossen Robotics
Robot Shop
http://www.vexrobotics.com/products/
Lego Mindstorms NXT

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would look at a hobby-grade robotics kit, rather than Lego Mindstorms. A company I have used in the past that carries a ton of advanced professional-grade robotics components is http://www.parallax.com/" , you should check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use legos and vex kits for the newbies in our robotics club, but I'm also impressed with the arduino, so you may want to check out robots compatible with it. Another option is the icreate dev platform, but that ends up being mostly programming. Do you have a specific aim?

Related to Robotics Kit for Beginner Science Major: Exploring Options

1. What is a robotics kit for beginner science majors?

A robotics kit for beginner science majors is a set of materials and components that allow students to build and program their own robots. These kits typically include a microcontroller, motors, sensors, and other electronic components, as well as instructions and coding software.

2. What can I learn from using a robotics kit?

Using a robotics kit can teach you the basics of electronics, coding, and engineering principles. It can also help you develop problem-solving skills and creativity as you design and build your own robot.

3. Do I need prior experience to use a robotics kit for beginners?

No, most robotics kits for beginners are designed for those with little or no prior experience in robotics or coding. They typically come with step-by-step instructions and user-friendly software to help you get started.

4. What types of robots can be built with a beginner's robotics kit?

Beginner robotics kits typically allow you to build simple robots such as line-following robots, obstacle-avoiding robots, and remote-controlled robots. Some kits may also include additional components to build more complex robots.

5. Can a robotics kit for beginners be used for educational purposes?

Yes, robotics kits for beginners are often used in educational settings to introduce students to the world of robotics and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. They can be used to teach various concepts such as coding, circuitry, and problem-solving skills.