Roller coasters: would we fall out without restraints?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of roller coasters and the role of restraints in keeping riders safe. The speaker expresses skepticism about the physics of roller coaster designs and questions what would happen if a restraint were to open while riding. They also mention a specific coaster that only has a lap restraint and pulls negative g-forces, causing concern. The conversation concludes with the understanding that restraints are crucial for keeping riders safe on modern, fast and intense rides.
helpmeplz!
I ask because as you might have heard recently a person fell out of a roller coaster when her restraint came open last week in Ohio. I was always told that the physics of these ride designs made it so that the people would be safe even without a restraint.

I'm skeptical about a few things first of all.

Consider a roller coast going around a loop. On the bottom of the loop you obviously don't need the restraints because gravity is pushing you onto your seat. But at the top of the loop, your seat is above you with respect to the ground, and so there is no support against your weight. But of course you have a component of velocity upwards and your velocity decreases but your change in height is perfectly in line with the coaster and the track, and so you don't fall. Is this the jest of it?

But wouldn't this be disregarding an important thing. What if when your restraint opens, you were to roll? In other words if you weren't able to stand completely still, that would end pretty badly for you wouldn't it?

Also if your restraint opened and you were going around a curve and again you were to roll.

Another question, you know those rides that boost you up all of a sudden and then stop at a certain level? What would happen if your restraint opened as you were going up, and as the ride slows down your velocity is bigger and so you end up too high at the top and fall off?

Am I right in my concerns or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all of the g-forces are vertical, much less downward with respect to the train. I was recently at Hershey Park and one coaster, Skyrush, has only a lap restraint, yet pulls -2g, which is pretty disconcerting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrush

Barrel rolls in particular can throw you from one side to the other.

"I was always told that the physics of these ride designs made it so that the people would be safe even without a restraint." You were told wrong. That used to be true of many of the older, safer, slower rides. As an extra precaution, designers aligned the g-forces to keep a person in their seat even without restraints. In a push for every faster and crazier rides, most rides these days depend crucially on the restraint. Any ride with barrell rolls, jerky motions, or parts where the riders are pushed against the restraint instead of away from the restraint relies on the restraint to keep riders in their seats.

1. Can we really fall out of a roller coaster without restraints?

Yes, it is possible for a person to fall out of a roller coaster without restraints. In fact, there have been cases where people have been ejected from roller coasters due to a malfunction or not being properly secured. However, the chances of this happening are extremely low due to the safety measures and design of modern roller coasters.

2. How do restraints prevent us from falling out of a roller coaster?

Restraints, such as lap bars, shoulder harnesses, and seat belts, are designed to hold riders securely in their seats and prevent them from being ejected from the roller coaster. These restraints are rigorously tested and designed to withstand high forces and keep riders in place even during the most intense parts of the ride.

3. Are there different types of restraints used on roller coasters?

Yes, there are various types of restraints used on roller coasters depending on the design and intensity of the ride. Some common types of restraints include lap bars, over-the-shoulder harnesses, and seat belts. Each type of restraint is designed to provide a specific level of safety and comfort for riders.

4. Are restraints the only safety measure on roller coasters?

No, restraints are not the only safety measure on roller coasters. Roller coasters also have multiple safety systems in place, such as block brakes, anti-rollbacks, and sensors that monitor the speed and position of the train. These systems work together to ensure the safety of riders and prevent any accidents from occurring.

5. Is it safe to ride a roller coaster without restraints?

No, it is not safe to ride a roller coaster without restraints. Roller coasters are designed and tested with restraints in mind, and riding without them can be extremely dangerous. It is important to always follow the safety guidelines and instructions given by the ride operators to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride.