Rotation vs Translation for elbow joint

In summary, it is possible to have both rotation and translation when a beam is free to pivot about a hinge, and the center of mass of the beam is moving. This can be seen as the beam tracing a large circle around the hinge while also moving its center of mass, or as a combination of rotation and translation in different directions. However, to avoid the center of mass from moving, adjustments may need to be made to the pivot point.
physics gal
upload_2017-7-19_9-25-1.png

If I were to cut the string and let the board move, I know I would get rotation. But, since the center of mass of the beam is moving as well (in a circle) could I also say that the board is translating once the string is cut?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
Assuming the beam is free to pivot about the hinge at its left end, it would both rotate and translate.

Likes sophiecentaur
.Scott said:
Yes.
Assuming the beam is free to pivot about the hinge at its left end, it would both rotate and translate.
So even though the beam will be tracing a large circle around the hinge (or more likely swinging back and forth) we can call this translation? My reasoning was because the center of mass of the board is moving as it swings. Is that correct?

.Scott said:
Yes.
The Centre of Mass of the board would drop and move to the left so that would be looked upon as translation. To avoid this, you would need to (appropriately) raise the elbow joint and move it to the right. Then you would have only rotation

sophiecentaur said:
The Centre of Mass of the board would drop and move to the left so that would be looked upon as translation. To avoid this, you would need to (appropriately) raise the elbow joint and move it to the right. Then you would have only rotation
Even though not all movement vectors of the object are moving in space by the same amount in a given direction, we can still call this translation?

physics gal said:
Even though not all movement vectors of the object are moving in space by the same amount in a given direction, we can still call this translation?
Why not? The translation doesn't need to be in a straight line or in a chosen direction. We are talking in terms of translation of the CM.

physics gal said:
If I were to cut the string and let the board move, I know I would get rotation. But, since the center of mass of the beam is moving as well (in a circle) could I also say that the board is translating once the string is cut?
Yes, you can decompose the same motion into rotation and translation in different ways.

Likes jbriggs444 and Nidum

1. What is the difference between rotation and translation for the elbow joint?

Rotation and translation are two types of movements that can occur at the elbow joint. Rotation refers to the circular movement of the forearm around the upper arm, while translation refers to the back-and-forth movement of the forearm in relation to the upper arm.

2. Which type of movement is responsible for bending and straightening the elbow?

Rotation is responsible for bending and straightening the elbow. When the forearm rotates towards the upper arm, the elbow flexes or bends. When the forearm rotates away from the upper arm, the elbow extends or straightens.

3. How do muscles and ligaments contribute to rotation and translation at the elbow joint?

Muscles and ligaments play a crucial role in both rotation and translation at the elbow joint. Muscles, such as the biceps and triceps, contract and relax to generate the necessary force for rotation and translation. Ligaments provide stability and help control the range of motion for these movements.

4. Can both rotation and translation occur simultaneously at the elbow joint?

Yes, both rotation and translation can occur simultaneously at the elbow joint. For example, when throwing a ball, the forearm rotates while also translating forward to generate the necessary force for the throw.

5. Are there any other joints in the body that also exhibit rotation and translation movements?

Yes, several joints in the body exhibit both rotation and translation movements, including the shoulder, hip, and ankle joints. These movements are essential for performing everyday tasks and activities, such as walking, running, and reaching for objects.