Rotation within a vacuum vs rotation with a pressurized environment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of stopping an object from spinning within a pressurised environment. It is suggested that surrounding the object and pressurising the space around it could potentially stop the rotation. However, this idea is challenged due to the concept of conservation of momentum. The conversation also mentions the potential application of this method for dealing with trash in space.
BAUCE
common sense tells me that if an object can remain spinning in the vacuum of space for eternity, than placing that same object within a pressurised environment will cause the object to slow to a stop. is there a way for me to calculate the time in which it would take an object to stop rotating within a pressurised environment? the goal would be to achieve the fastest time in stopping an object from spinning.

Physics news on Phys.org
BAUCE said:
the goal would be to achieve the fastest time in stopping an object from spinning.
By what means? Changing the shape of the object?

A.T. said:
By what means? Changing the shape of the object?
thinking along the lines of trash in space. in order to reach out and grab a piece of debris, either it has to stop spinning, or the rotation must be matched. my thought is that rather than 'grabbing' it, surround it and pressurise the space around it so to stop the rotation.

BAUCE said:
thinking along the lines of trash in space. in order to reach out and grab a piece of debris, either it has to stop spinning, or the rotation must be matched. my thought is that rather than 'grabbing' it, surround it and pressurise the space around it so to stop the rotation.
Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you do it?

BAUCE said:
That won't work because of conservation of momentum. We don't know your background. Do you understand "because of conservation of momentum" ?

1. What is the difference between rotation within a vacuum and rotation with a pressurized environment?

Rotation within a vacuum refers to an object or system rotating in a completely airless space, while rotation with a pressurized environment involves rotation in a space filled with air or another gas at a specific pressure.

2. How does rotation within a vacuum affect the behavior of objects?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so objects will continue to rotate at a constant speed without any external forces acting on them. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

3. What happens to objects rotating in a pressurized environment?

In a pressurized environment, there is air resistance, which can slow down or change the direction of rotation of objects. The amount of air resistance depends on the pressure and density of the gas in the environment.

4. Can rotation within a vacuum be used for practical applications?

Yes, rotation within a vacuum can be used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in space exploration, vacuum pumps, and centrifuges.

5. How does the presence of air affect the speed of rotation?

The presence of air can increase or decrease the speed of rotation depending on the shape and density of the rotating object. In some cases, air resistance can cause objects to stop rotating altogether.