Rotational Kinetic Energy discrepancy

In summary, the disk has more Rotational Kinetic Energy (Kr) because it has greater moment of inertia (I).
FlyDoc
I was going over the rolling disk versus rolling hoop problem, in which the hoop has more Kr due to greater I and therefore smaller Kt and v. I know this can be algebraically proved with two unique expressions for V that don't involve omega. The question in class that came up concerns torque. If torque=I*alpha and the torques are the same (Fr), wouldn't the hoop produce a smaller alpha, therefore a smaller omega, which would make for a smaller Kr than the disk since omega is squared? I can only seem to resolve this discrepancy if I assume that the torque on the disk increases proportionally with I. Can somebody clarify for me. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
FlyDoc said:
Summary:: Why isn't Rotational Kinetic Energy of a hoop less than a disk? Should angular acceleration and therefore angular velocity decrease due to an increasing in moment of inertia?

I was going over the rolling disk versus rolling hoop problem, in which the hoop has more Kr due to greater I and therefore smaller Kt and v. I know this can be algebraically proved with two unique expressions for V that don't involve omega. The question in class that came up concerns torque. If torque=I*alpha and the torques are the same (Fr), wouldn't the hoop produce a smaller alpha, therefore a smaller omega, which would make for a smaller Kr than the disk since omega is squared? I can only seem to resolve this discrepancy if I assume that the torque on the disk increases proportionally with I. Can somebody clarify for me. Thank you

Why don't you show us the equations properly? Is this rolling down an incline?

A uniform disk (or solid cylinder) beats a hoop (or hollow cylinder) down an incline, right?

yes, disk beats hoop.

Likes vanhees71
FlyDoc said:
yes, disk beats hoop.
... and that's because ...

Likes vanhees71

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy discrepancy

1. What is rotational kinetic energy discrepancy?

Rotational kinetic energy discrepancy refers to the difference between the actual rotational kinetic energy of an object and the calculated rotational kinetic energy based on its mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. What causes rotational kinetic energy discrepancy?

There are several factors that can contribute to rotational kinetic energy discrepancy, including measurement errors, friction, and air resistance. In some cases, the discrepancy may also be due to the object not being a perfect rigid body.

3. How is rotational kinetic energy discrepancy calculated?

Rotational kinetic energy discrepancy can be calculated by subtracting the actual rotational kinetic energy from the calculated rotational kinetic energy. The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How can rotational kinetic energy discrepancy be reduced?

To reduce rotational kinetic energy discrepancy, it is important to minimize measurement errors and take into account factors such as friction and air resistance. Using more precise measurement tools and techniques can also help reduce the discrepancy.

5. Why is rotational kinetic energy discrepancy important to consider?

Rotational kinetic energy discrepancy is important to consider because it can affect the accuracy of calculations and predictions in rotational motion. Understanding and accounting for this discrepancy can lead to more precise results and a better understanding of rotational dynamics.