Rounding to required level of accuracy

• Thread starter roger12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
Thanks for all your help.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of two problems with required level of accuracy given by measurement and the use of significant figures in the answers. The first problem yields an answer of 94.5, while the second problem yields an answer of 0.4806. The conversation also touches on the rules for significant figures in addition/subtraction and multiplication/division. The author of the book used for reference, Engineering Math by Stroud, has some unusual rules for these problems.
roger12

Homework Statement

Calculate each of the following to the required level of accuracy given that each number, other than those indicated in brackets, has been obtained by measurement.

a) (3.142*1.95)/6*(3*5.44^2+1.95^2)
(power 2, divisor 6, multiplier 3)

b) (3.142*1.234)/12*( 0.424^2+0.424*0.951+0.951^2)
(power 2 and divisor 12)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)My calculator gives me 94.5414368

So I think 94.5 should be the answer since 1.95 has the least number of significant figures- three. My book, though, says it is 94.54

b) The calculator gives 0.4805827337

So my answer is 0.480 because 0.424 and 0.951 each have only 3 sig figs- least number of sig figures. But my book says the answer is 0.4806

Please, show me where I am wrong.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rules for sig. fig.s are different for (addition&subtraction) than they are for (multiplication&division).

Your answer (a) looks right to me. 1.95 is a factor of all the rest, so it should limit the result to 3 sig. fig.

For (b) however, each factor in ( 0.4242+0.424*0.951+0.9512) is accurate to the 0.001 place, so the result of adding these three factors is also accurate to the 0.001 place. That give 4 sig. fig. for that result. Each of the other two factors, 3.142 & 1.234 also has 4 sig. fig.s.

SammyS said:
The rules for sig. fig.s are different for (addition&subtraction) than they are for (multiplication&division).

Your answer (a) looks right to me. 1.95 is a factor of all the rest, so it should limit the result to 3 sig. fig.

For (b) however, each factor in ( 0.4242+0.424*0.951+0.9512) is accurate to the 0.001 place, so the result of adding these three factors is also accurate to the 0.001 place. That give 4 sig. fig. for that result. Each of the other two factors, 3.142 & 1.234 also has 4 sig. fig.s.

Thank you for the answer. I tried to apply the rule that used for (b) to another problem and got another wrong answer.

[4.62^2-(7.16-2.35)]/ [2.63+1.89* √(73.24)]

The answer is 0.8793. I thought the answer had to be rounded to 3 sig fig.

roger12 said:
Thank you for the answer. I tried to apply the rule that used for (b) to another problem and got another wrong answer.

[4.62^2-(7.16-2.35)]/ [2.63+1.89* √(73.24)]

The answer is 0.8793. I thought the answer had to be rounded to 3 sig fig.
Beats me!

I agree with you on this one.

Does your textbook have some unusual rules for these?

Maybe the author treats "required level of accuracy" different than "significant figures".
?

SammyS said:
Beats me!

I agree with you on this one.

Does your textbook have some unusual rules for these?

It's Engineering Math by Stroud. It's a great book. Sometimes unexpected problems with strange answers pop up. These are some of the few.

Related to Rounding to required level of accuracy

What is rounding?

Rounding is the process of approximating a number to a simpler or more convenient value. This is done by dropping or adding digits to the right of the decimal point.

Why do we round numbers to a required level of accuracy?

We round numbers to a required level of accuracy in order to simplify calculations and make numbers easier to work with. It also helps to avoid dealing with excessively long or complex numbers.

How do we determine the required level of accuracy for rounding?

The required level of accuracy for rounding is typically determined by the precision or significance needed for the calculation or measurement. This can vary depending on the context and purpose of the calculation.

What are the different methods for rounding to a required level of accuracy?

There are several methods for rounding, including rounding up, rounding down, and rounding to the nearest value. Different rules and guidelines can also be used for rounding, such as rounding to the nearest even number or rounding to a specific decimal place.

What are some common errors or misconceptions about rounding?

One common error is rounding too early in a multi-step calculation, which can lead to an inaccurate final result. Another misconception is that rounding always results in a more precise number, when in fact it can sometimes introduce rounding errors.