Row and Column equivalent matrices

In summary, the two matrices A and B are row equivalent if and only if their row vectors can be written in terms of the row vectors in A.
PsychonautQQ
Hey PF, I'm having trouble seeing the bigger picture here.

Take matrix A and matrix B. If B can be obtained from A by elementary row operations then the two matrices are row equivalent. The only explanation my book gives is that since B was obtained by elementary row operations, (scalar multiplication and vector addition) that the row vectors of B can be written in terms of the row vectors in A. I follow this sort of, I at least see the 'intuitiveness' behind it but I feel like there is some piece of the puzzle missing in my brain that's not letting it click completely. Anyone want to drop some knowledge on me?

And while you're at it answer me this: why aren't matrices A and B guaranteed to be column equivalent? What is the difference between rows and columns? If you get matrix A from matrix B by only elementary-column operations (is there such a thing?) then that would mean they are guaranteed to be column equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two m×n-matrices A and B are "row equivalent" if for all n×1-matrices x, we have
$$Ax=0\ \Leftrightarrow\ Bx=0.$$ (Either both equalities true or both equalities false). This is equivalent to saying that A and B have the same kernel.

To say that A and B are "column equivalent" would be the same as saying that ##A^T## and ##B^T## are row equivalent, i.e. that ##A^T## and ##B^T## have the same kernel. ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}## and ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}## have the same kernel ("the y axis") , but their transposes ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}## and ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}## do not ("the y axis" and "the line y=-x" respectively).

This simple example should be enough to see why elementary row operations are different from "elementary column operations".
$$\begin{pmatrix}0\\ 0\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} a & b\\ c & d\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\ y\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}ax+by\\ cx+dy\end{pmatrix}.$$ If you multiply the first row of the matrix by 3, you get an equivalent system of equations. (The entire first equation is multiplied by 3). If you multiply the first column of the matrix by 3, both equations change into something that's not equivalent to what they were before.

If the original equation had been written as
$$\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}x & y\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} a & b\\ c & d\end{pmatrix}$$ instead, it would have been appropriate to do column operations instead of row operations.

Likes PsychonautQQ
So if we two matrices have the same kernel (the same basis for their null space?) then they will be row equivalent as well? Thanks btw, you pwn my textbook.

The terms "kernel" and "null space" mean exactly the same thing.

Yes, A and B have the same kernel if and only if they're row equivalent.

It follows from the definition of matrix multiplication that Ax=0 if and only if x is orthogonal to each column of A. This implies that x is in the kernel of A if and only if it's orthogonal to the row space of A. (The row space is the space spanned by the rows of A). So the kernel and the row space are each other's orthogonal complements. The Wikipedia page on row equivalence describes the key steps in a proof of the result that A and B have the same row space if and only if A and B are row equivalent. So "same kernel" ⇔ "same row space" ⇔ "row equivalent"

For vector spaces, "kernel" and "null space" have exactly the same meaning. For other algebraic structures that contain an additive identity, "0", we can define the kernel of a function as the set of all objects the function maps into 0. But that would not be called a "null space" since it is not a "space" in the sense of vector spaces.

1. What is the definition of row and column equivalent matrices?

Row and column equivalent matrices are two matrices that have the same number of rows and columns, and each corresponding entry in the matrices is equal.

2. How can I determine if two matrices are row and column equivalent?

To determine if two matrices are row and column equivalent, you can perform elementary row and column operations on one matrix to transform it into the other matrix. If the two matrices are identical after performing these operations, then they are row and column equivalent.

3. Are row and column equivalent matrices identical?

No, row and column equivalent matrices are not necessarily identical. They can have different entries, but the corresponding entries in both matrices will be equal.

4. Can I multiply a matrix by a scalar and still have it be row and column equivalent to the original matrix?

Yes, multiplying a matrix by a scalar will not change its row and column equivalence with another matrix. However, the corresponding entries in the two matrices will be scaled by the same factor.

5. What is the purpose of row and column equivalence in matrices?

Row and column equivalence allows us to simplify and manipulate matrices without changing their underlying structure or properties. It is also useful in solving systems of equations and performing other mathematical operations on matrices.