RS485 to RS232 (Energy meter connection)

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to reset energy monitors and the steps taken to connect to the devices, including acquiring an RS485>RS232 converter and downloading software. However, there is an issue with getting the meter to send data to the computer and various attempts at wiring the RS485 have been unsuccessful. The conversation also mentions other pins in the RS232 that may affect transmission.
turbo2ro
Hello,

We've recently decided that our energy monitors need to be reseted; to do so we need to connect to the devices as this can't be done from their menu (https://www.gavazzionline.com/pdf/EM2172DDS.pdf this is the meter).

In order to connect we've acquired an RS485>RS232 converter (DB25)(http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?model_no=IC485S) and downloaded the em21 software.

The main issue is that we can't get the meter to send the data to the computer and the reason for this, I think, is that we're doing something wrong when wiring the RS485. On the em21 we have A-, B+, T and GND while on the converter R-,R+,T-,T+; we've tried a number of combinations but none seem to work. Initially I thought that A- should go to R- and T- and B+ to R+ and T+ but I had no luck with that.

If anyone can throw an idea or two it would be much appreciated :).

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are other pins in the RS232 that allow/disallow transmission. The only way to be sure is to begin with a full implementation of all RS232 pins, then see which can be open, or jumpered.

Related to RS485 to RS232 (Energy meter connection)

1. How do I connect an energy meter to a computer using RS485 to RS232?

To connect an energy meter to a computer using RS485 to RS232, you will need to use an RS485 to RS232 converter. This converter will take the RS485 signal from the energy meter and convert it to RS232, which can be read by the computer. Once the converter is connected, you can use a standard RS232 cable to connect the converter to the computer.

2. What is the difference between RS485 and RS232?

RS485 and RS232 are both serial communication protocols, but they differ in several ways. RS485 allows for longer communication distances, up to 4000 feet, while RS232 is limited to about 50 feet. Additionally, RS485 can support multiple devices on the same communication line, while RS232 is typically used for one-to-one communication. RS485 also uses differential signaling, making it more immune to noise and interference compared to RS232.

3. Can I use RS485 to RS232 to connect multiple energy meters to one computer?

Yes, you can use RS485 to RS232 to connect multiple energy meters to one computer. As mentioned before, RS485 supports multiple devices on the same communication line, so you can connect multiple energy meters to one converter and then use a single RS232 cable to connect the converter to the computer. However, you will need to ensure that the energy meters are properly configured for communication on the RS485 network.

4. How do I know if my energy meter supports RS485?

You can check the specifications or manual of your energy meter to see if it supports RS485 communication. Most modern energy meters will have this feature, but it is always best to double-check. If your energy meter does not support RS485, there may be other communication options available, such as RS232 or Ethernet.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using RS485 to RS232 for energy meter connection?

Yes, there are a few precautions you should take when using RS485 to RS232 for energy meter connection. Firstly, make sure that the converter and cables you are using are of good quality and meet the necessary specifications. Additionally, it is important to properly configure the energy meter and the computer for communication. This includes setting the correct baud rate and data format. Finally, ensure that the communication lines are properly grounded to avoid any potential electrical hazards.