Rules of Logarithms: Explained and Demystified

In summary, the conversation is about the mathematics of logarithms and the importance of simplifying the logs in order to get the correct equation. The main point being discussed is the difference between taking the log of each side and exponentiating each side of an equation.
theojohn4
Hi,

So I'm doing boltzmann's entropy hypothesis.

I have a basic question about the mathematics of logarithms.

For [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex], I do the correct maths and go [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(\frac{W_f}{W_i})[/itex], and finally take the log of the equation to get:
[tex]e^{\frac{ΔS}{K_B}}=\frac{W_f}{W_i}[/tex]
This is correct, according to my worksheet.

However, I was wondering why making [itex]ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)=ln(\frac{W_f}{W_i})[/itex] is necessary in order to get the correct equation. Why can't taking the log of [itex]ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex] work?

If I do it, [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex] is [itex]e^{\frac{ΔS}{K_B}}=W_f-W_i[/itex], which is incorrect.

What is the mathematics behind this and what am I missing? Or is it just a general rule that you have to simplify the logs in order to proceed? It's bugging me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi theojohn4! :smile:

eA+B isn't the same as eA + eB

eAB isn't the same as eAeB

similary, ln(A+B) isn't the same as lnA + lnB :wink:

theojohn4 said:
Hi,

So I'm doing boltzmann's entropy hypothesis.

I have a basic question about the mathematics of logarithms.

For [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex], I do the correct maths and go [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(\frac{W_f}{W_i})[/itex], and finally take the log of the equation to get:
[tex]e^{\frac{ΔS}{K_B}}=\frac{W_f}{W_i}[/tex]
You're not taking the log of each side - you're exponentiating each side of the equation. That is, you are making each side the exponent of e. There's a big difference.

Related to Rules of Logarithms: Explained and Demystified

1. What are logarithms and why are they important?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. They are important because they allow us to simplify complex calculations involving exponential growth or decay, and are commonly used in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

2. What are the basic rules of logarithms?

The basic rules of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms. The power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number.

3. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations, you can use the basic rules of logarithms to simplify the equation and then isolate the variable. You can also use the properties of logarithms, such as the change of base formula, to convert between different bases. It is important to check your solutions to ensure they are valid within the given domain.

4. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms, denoted as ln, have a base of e (Euler's number), while common logarithms, denoted as log, have a base of 10. This means that ln(x) represents the power to which e must be raised to equal x, while log(x) represents the power to which 10 must be raised to equal x. Natural logarithms are commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations, while common logarithms are often used in finance and engineering.

5. How can I apply logarithms in real life situations?

Logarithms have many applications in real life, such as in calculating pH levels, measuring earthquake intensity, and analyzing population growth. They are also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in computer science for data compression. Understanding logarithms can help you make sense of exponential relationships and make accurate calculations in various fields.