S4.854.13.5.47 Find symmetric equations, angle between the planes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the symmetric equations for the line of intersection of two planes and finding the angle between the planes. The symmetric equations are derived using the cross product of the normal vectors of the planes. The angle between the planes can be calculated using the dot product and inverse cosine function. The fact that the cosine value is negative indicates an obtuse angle. It is also mentioned that there are two angles associated with an intersecting plane, and they are supplementary.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s4.854.13.5.47}$
$\textsf{a. Find symmeteric equations for the line of intersection of planes}\\$
$\textsf{b. Find the angle between the planes}\\$

\begin{align}\displaystyle
j+y-z&=2 \\
3x-4y+5z &=6
\end{align}
n_1&=\langle 1,1,-1\rangle\\
n_2&=\langle 3,-4,+5\rangle
\end{align}

\begin{align}
\displaystyle
\frac{n_1\cdot n_2}{|n_1||n_2|}
&=\frac{3(1)+(-4)(1)+5(-1)}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{50}}\\
&=\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5}\\
\cos^{-1}\left({\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5}}\right)
&=119^o \textit{or} \, 61^o
\end{align}

\begin{align}
\begin{bmatrix}
i & j & k\\
1 &1 &-1\\
3 &-4 &5
\end{bmatrix} &=\textbf{i-8j-7k}
\end{align}

$\textsf{the symmetric equations are:}$
\begin{align}
x-2&=\frac{y}{(-8)}=\frac{z}{(-7)}
\end{align}

suggestions?(Smirk)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{s4.854.13.5.47}$
$\textsf{a. Find symmeteric equations for the line of intersection of planes}\\$
$\textsf{b. Find the angle between the planes}\\$

j+y-z&=2 \\
3x-4y+5z &=6
\end{align}
n_1&=\langle 1,1,-1\rangle\\
n_2&=\langle 3,-4,+5\rangle
\end{align}

\begin{align}
\displaystyle
\frac{n_1\cdot n_2}{|n_1||n_2|}
&=\frac{3(1)+(-4)(1)+5(-1)}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{50}}\\
&=\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5}\\
\cos^{-1}\left({\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5}}\right)
&=119^o \textit{or} \, 61^o
\end{align}

\begin{align}
\begin{bmatrix}
i & j & k\\
1 &1 &-1\\
3 &-4 &5
\end{bmatrix} &=\textbf{i-8j-7k}
\end{align}

$\textsf{the symmetric equations are:}$
\begin{align}
x-2&=\frac{y}{(-8)}=\frac{z}{(-7)}
\end{align}

suggestions?(Smirk)

Notice that

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{6}{\sqrt{3}\,\sqrt{50}} &= -\frac{6}{5\,\sqrt{3}\,\sqrt{2}} \\ &= -\frac{6}{5\,\sqrt{6}} \\ &= -\frac{6\,\sqrt{6}}{5 \cdot 6} \\ &= -\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5} \end{align*}$

and when you end up with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } < 0 \end{align*}$ we can assume that the angle will be obtuse.

now I'm beginning to believe that sign errors are the most common mistake...😰

Prove It said:
Notice that

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{6}{\sqrt{3}\,\sqrt{50}} &= -\frac{6}{5\,\sqrt{3}\,\sqrt{2}} \\ &= -\frac{6}{5\,\sqrt{6}} \\ &= -\frac{6\,\sqrt{6}}{5 \cdot 6} \\ &= -\frac{\sqrt{6}}{5} \end{align*}$

and when you end up with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } < 0 \end{align*}$ we can assume that the angle will be obtuse.

there are 2 angles of an intersecting plane...they are supplementary

karush said:
there are 2 angles of an intersecting plane...they are supplementary

I'm not saying they're not, I'm saying what you should be EXPECTING for your answer...

What are symmetric equations?

Symmetric equations are equations that describe a shape or object in a way that is independent of the coordinate system used. This means that the equations will look the same regardless of how the axes are oriented or where the origin is located.

How do you find symmetric equations?

To find symmetric equations, you first need to determine the center of symmetry and the axis of symmetry for the shape or object. Then, you can use these values to create equations that will remain the same when translated or rotated. These equations will typically involve variables such as x, y, and z.

What is the angle between two planes?

The angle between two planes is the angle formed by the intersection of the two planes. It is measured in degrees or radians and can range from 0 to 180 degrees. This angle can be calculated using the normal vectors of the two planes.

How do you find the angle between two planes?

To find the angle between two planes, you first need to determine the normal vectors of each plane. Then, you can use the dot product or cross product of these vectors to calculate the angle between them. Alternatively, you can also use the formula arccos(cosθ) = cos(θ) to find the angle.

Why is finding the angle between planes important?

Finding the angle between planes is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the orientation of objects, calculate distances, and solve problems involving intersecting planes. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding spatial relationships and transformations.