S6.12.3.35 Find the unit vectors

In summary, the unit vectors parallel to the tangent line to the parabola $y=x^2$ at the point $(2,4)$ are given by $V_{35} = \pm \left(i+4j\right)/\sqrt{17}$. This is found by taking the slope of the tangent line, which is $4$, and constructing a vector with magnitude $1$ and direction parallel to the tangent line. This vector is then normalized to have a magnitude of $\sqrt{17}$ to get the final result.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s6.12.3.35}\\$
35. Find the unit vectors that are parallel to the tangent line to the
parabola $y = x^2$ at the point $(2,4)$.
\begin{align}
\displaystyle
y'&=2x
\end{align}
the book answer to this is
$\pm\left(i+4j)/\sqrt{17}\right)$
but don't see how they got this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of the tangent line there is y = 4x - 4. Slope of 4, so it runs for 1 and rises 4, giving us i + 4j. The magnitude of this vector is

$$\sqrt{1^2+4^2}=\sqrt{17}$$

Got it now?

$\tiny{s6.12.3.35}\\$
35. Find the unit vectors that are parallel to the tangent line to the
parabola $y = x^2$ at the point $(2,4)$.
\begin{align}
\displaystyle
y'&=2x\\
\textsf{tangent line at (2,4) is}\\
y&=4(x-2)+4=4x-4\\
\sqrt{1^2+4^2}&=\sqrt{17}\\
\textsf{thus}\\
V_{35}&=\pm\left(i+4j)/\sqrt{17}\right)
\end{align}

Last edited:

1. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to indicate direction. They are often represented by a lowercase letter with a hat, such as ĉ or u.

2. How do you find unit vectors?

To find a unit vector, you first need to determine the magnitude of the vector. Then, divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and will be a unit vector.

3. Why are unit vectors important?

Unit vectors are important because they allow us to represent direction without being influenced by the magnitude of a vector. They are also useful for calculations involving vectors, such as finding the angle between two vectors.

4. Can unit vectors be negative?

Yes, unit vectors can have negative components. The important thing to remember is that the magnitude of a unit vector is always 1, regardless of the sign of its components.

5. How are unit vectors used in physics?

Unit vectors are commonly used in physics to represent direction and perform vector operations. They are also used in coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, to define the x, y, and z axes.