Savings account simple interest problem

• Thread starter heels_overhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
You have posted in the wrong forum and have had a previous thread closed because it either went off the rails or you were given good information and just missed it. There are 2 or 3 people who have given you good information and you didn't respond to it. I'm going to close this thread.Zz.
heels_overhead
Sam has decided to invest savings of $5000. for 2 years, starting on January 1, of this year in the following portfolio:

20% ip a savings account (5% simple interest, calculated daily, paid monthly)
50% in a 2- yearGlC (6% compounded annually)
30% in al— year term deposit (&5% simple interest, paid at term end)

a) Why do think he has chosen to save this way?
b) He makes no deposits to, or withdrawals from his savings account and he re—invests the final amount of the term deposit for a second term. How much will he have in his portfolio in 2 years?
c) Suggest a different combination of saving alternatives for Sam savings portfolio. Explain your reasoning.

---------------------------
http://dhseagles.kpdsb.on.ca/~Currie/gr11MT/4-2.idx
--------------------------

the above it the question that has to be answered and the link offfers my lesson in the textbook. I am really confussed with what i have to do first and wel the process in the completion of the assignment. What is the answer in general and basic statement-like without the pure math done? i have noclue when it comes to interest and money.

thanks in advance, I really need assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am ever so great full –thanks in advance

a) Sam's financial advisor told him to invest them that way.
b) $2,328.14
c) Sam should withdraw all the money in $1s and $5s and put it under his bed.

Yes, you are "confussed". You are "confussed" about where to put this question- I'm moving it to the "Precalculus homework" section.

(Actually, I like "confussed". Confused to the point of being fussed over it!)

Fussing over it to the extent of getting a concussion perhaps?

Or was that concussed? I'm bewildered.

well thanks anyway

Sorry for bother youi was unaware that my post was not on topic. I promise to not embark for help within this site for is is strickly not for "simple interest and financial math" I would like to thank all those people who have help me out in the last two boards, you have given me something to work from. And i shall seriously concided the $1 and $5 bill remark,it is accually ingenius, and deserving of further thought!

thanks and happy "mathing".

heels_overhead said:
Sorry for bother youi was unaware that my post was not on topic. I promise to not embark for help within this site for is is strickly not for "simple interest and financial math" I would like to thank all those people who have help me out in the last two boards, you have given me something to work from. And i shall seriously concided the $1 and $5 bill remark,it is accually ingenius, and deserving of further thought!

thanks and happy "mathing".

That attitude isn't going to get help here.

Related to Savings account simple interest problem

1. What is a savings account simple interest problem?

A savings account simple interest problem refers to a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of interest earned on a savings account over a specific period of time. It takes into account the initial deposit, interest rate, and time period to determine the total amount earned.

2. How is simple interest calculated for a savings account?

Simple interest for a savings account is calculated by multiplying the principal amount (initial deposit) by the interest rate and the time period. The formula is I = PRT, where I is the interest, P is the principal, R is the interest rate, and T is the time period.

3. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the initial amount deposited, while compound interest is calculated on both the initial amount and any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will result in a higher total amount earned compared to simple interest over the same time period.

4. How does the length of time affect the amount of interest earned on a savings account?

The longer the time period, the more interest will be earned on a savings account. This is because the interest is calculated based on the initial deposit and the time period. The longer the money stays in the account, the more time it has to earn interest.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the amount of interest earned on a savings account?

Yes, the interest rate and the compounding frequency can also affect the amount of interest earned on a savings account. A higher interest rate or more frequent compounding will result in a higher total amount earned over time.