Where Can Hobbyists Access the Full Solutions Manual for 'A First Course in General Relativity' by Schutz?

• Relativity
  • Thread starter astrobird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manual Schutz
In summary, The conversation is about the individual's self-study of physics topics as a hobby, specifically their enjoyment of "A first course in general relativity" by Schutz and the accompanying student manual by Scott. The manual provides answers to some exercises, but not all, making it difficult to verify correctness. The individual has requested access to the solutions from the publisher but was denied due to not being employed with a university. They express frustration with this but have found a solution.
astrobird
I'm self-studying various physics topics (as a hobby) and currently enjoying "A first course in general relativity" by Schutz. I also have the students manual for this book by Scott which provides the answers to a selection of the exercises in the book as well as some additional material.

For quite a few of the exercises Scott doesn't provide the solution though, or just a hint. This is not always enough to verify whether I have done things correctly or in some cases simply to check the way forward in case I'm not sure how to arrive at a correct answer.

While I'm a firm believer of making a serious attempt of figuring something yourself first, sometimes the solutions really help to understand things better. I have requested access to the solutions from the publisher of "A first course in general relativity" by Schutz but was denied on the basis that I'm not employed with a university. I even offered them to provide due diligence so that they can see I'm not a student or anything like that but that didn't help either. I understand it from their point of view but on the other hand, someone like myself investing good money in a book should be able to use the solutions as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, seems like I sorted out the problem:)

Are you not confident in your answers?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but even when confident there can be a mistake sometimes:)

1. What is "Schutz, Solutions Manual"?

"Schutz, Solutions Manual" is a guidebook that provides solutions to problems presented in the textbook "Schutz, A First Course in General Relativity". It is used by students and instructors as a resource to check their understanding and work through difficult problems.

2. Who is the author of "Schutz, Solutions Manual"?

The author of "Schutz, Solutions Manual" is Bernard Schutz, a theoretical physicist and professor at Cardiff University in the United Kingdom. He is also the author of "Schutz, A First Course in General Relativity".

3. What are the benefits of using "Schutz, Solutions Manual"?

Using "Schutz, Solutions Manual" can help students understand and master the concepts of general relativity. It also provides step-by-step solutions to problems, allowing students to check their work and identify any mistakes. Instructors can also use the manual as a resource to create assignments and assess student understanding.

4. Is "Schutz, Solutions Manual" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Schutz, Solutions Manual" can be used for self-study. It provides detailed solutions to problems, which can help students work through difficult concepts and improve their understanding. However, it is recommended to also use the textbook "Schutz, A First Course in General Relativity" for a more comprehensive understanding.

5. Where can I purchase "Schutz, Solutions Manual"?

"Schutz, Solutions Manual" can be purchased from various online retailers, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It may also be available for purchase at university bookstores. Some online bookstores also offer digital versions of the manual for purchase or rental.