SciAm article: Trapping the Tiniest Sound

In summary, researchers from NIST and the University of Colorado have developed the ability to trap and control "phonons" (sound particles) which has potential applications in quantum computing. The findings were published in Physical Review X and the initial draft of the paper can be found on ArXiv. This development has sparked interest and discussion among readers.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I honestly wasn't sure where I should put this, but I had recently come across this online article from Scientific American about researchers from NIST and the University of Colorado having developed the ability to trap and gain control of "phonons" (sound "particles", roughly analogous with photons for light), and the possible future applications in areas like quantum computing.

Here is the link from Scientific American:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trapping-the-tiniest-sound/
The article states that the researchers published in Physical Review X, but I believe this ArXiv post contains the initial draft of the paper in question:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.06344

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how much of the paper is accessible without an academic subscription, but I found the article to be an interesting read.I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and comments on this development!

What is the main topic of the "SciAm article: Trapping the Tiniest Sound"?

The main topic of the "SciAm article: Trapping the Tiniest Sound" is the development of a new technology that can trap and manipulate sound waves at the nanoscale level.

How does this technology work?

This technology uses an array of tiny silicon pillars to create a "phononic crystal" that can control the movement of sound waves. The pillars are designed to have specific dimensions and spacing that can trap and manipulate sound waves of different frequencies.

What are the potential applications of this technology?

This technology has potential applications in various fields such as acoustics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It could also be used to create more efficient and compact devices for sound-based technologies like ultrasound imaging and sonar.

What are the benefits of trapping sound at the nanoscale level?

Trapping sound at the nanoscale level allows for precise control and manipulation of sound waves, which can lead to improved performance and efficiency in various applications. It also opens up possibilities for new technologies that were previously not possible.

What are the challenges in developing this technology?

One of the main challenges in developing this technology is finding ways to scale it up for practical use. Currently, the technology is limited to trapping sound waves in a small area, but researchers are working on ways to expand its capabilities. Additionally, the design and fabrication of the phononic crystal also require advanced techniques and materials.