Science Addresses Recent increase in MLB Home Runs

In summary, the baseball league hired scientists to explore why home runs have increased, but they were unable to find a definitive answer. They did find that the drag coefficient of the baseballs has decreased, but they could not explain why this change has led to an increase in home runs. There is the possibility that other factors are involved, such as changes in player remuneration or the placebo effect.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The past year and a half have seen an unexplained increase in MLB home runs.
Interesting article.
Bounciness, weight, and air resistance seem to be involved.

Likes berkeman, DrClaude and Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
Very interesting article. I am not surprised that such small changes in the ball have such an effect on the number of home runs.

A couple of asides:

1) I would expect fastballs to be faster if the ball has less air resistance and breaking pitches should not break so much for the same reason.

2) I would add that analytics associated with baseball (also basketball) has been making huge strides recently.
Well beyond the things discussed in Moneyball (which is a fun read).

In MLB:
  • every pitch is logged electronically about where it crosses the plate and how fast it is going
  • every swing of the bat is logged for a number of traits, including speed of swing and angle of swing (mentioned in article)
  • every hit ball is logged for the speed and angle it takes when it leaves the bat
Since there are a lot of statheads (dare I say numberskulls) interested in baseball, there are all kinds of new stats due to this new information.

Likes XZ923, Asymptotic, Randy Beikmann and 2 others
BillTre said:
(dare I say numberskulls)
+1!

Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
Here is a different article from the NY Times on this issue.
These guys claim to have not figured it out.
This is getting ridiculous. Yes, they have figured out that the balls now have a lower drag coefficient. No, they can't identify anything in the manufacturing process that would explain this change in drag.

This is reminiscent of the bad philosophy attitude that if science doesn't know everything, then it knows nothing.

Edit: Just to clarify, it is the reporting in the article I am calling ridiculous, not @BillTre :wink:

Likes BillTre
Sports Guys, especially Baseball (which has a long history of details and statistics) Sports Guys, love to drill down on all kinds of minutia.
And technical stuff makes it better!
Lots of fun!:smile:

Likes DrClaude
BillTre said:
Sports Guys, especially Baseball (which has a long history of details and statistics) Sports Guys, love to drill down on all kinds of minutia.
And technical stuff makes it better!
Lots of fun!:smile:
I completely agree. Heck, I'm borderline one of those Baseball Sports Guys.

Maybe the fault lies in the title of the piece: M.L.B. Hired Scientists to Explain Why Home Runs Have Surged. They Couldn’t. That's not true. They could explain it, just not completely.

Likes BillTre
Well, there is always some little thing that can be used to drive something through the media. This is rewarding in some way.

Also there is the sports thing of always looking for any little advantage. Especially, in baseball (which is pretty statitical), little things can matter.
Its an attitude I endorse.
Its direction, however can be problematic.

So what about confounding variables?
1. Has there been a change in computation of player remuneration based on performance.
2. Placebo effect, do the players believe the balls are more bouncy and so select a homer strategy, and hit the ball harder.

Likes Bystander

1. What is the recent increase in MLB home runs?

The recent increase in MLB home runs refers to the significant rise in the number of home runs hit by players in Major League Baseball games since the 2015 season. This increase has been observed in both individual players and as a whole for the league.

2. What is causing the increase in MLB home runs?

The exact cause of the increase in MLB home runs is still being debated by scientists and experts. However, some potential factors include changes in the composition of the baseball itself, an increase in players' focus on hitting for power, and changes in pitching strategies.

3. How significant is the increase in MLB home runs?

The increase in MLB home runs is significant, with the league as a whole hitting over 6,000 home runs in both the 2019 and 2021 seasons. This is a substantial increase from previous seasons and has led to records being broken and players hitting more home runs at a faster rate.

4. Is the increase in MLB home runs a concern for the sport?

The increase in MLB home runs has raised some concerns about the future of the sport. Some argue that it could lead to a decrease in diversity in the game, with players focusing more on power hitting rather than other aspects of the game. It has also been suggested that the increase in home runs could be making games less competitive.

5. Are there any potential solutions to the increase in MLB home runs?

There is ongoing research and discussion about potential solutions to the increase in MLB home runs. Some suggestions include altering the composition of the baseball, changing the dimensions of the playing field, or implementing new rules or regulations. However, it is still unclear what the most effective solution may be, and more research is needed.