Science fiction stuff that could never happen

In summary: I would say that the transporter system in Star Trek is highly implausible as it is depicted on the show and movies. I don't see how the agony of being disintegrated at one location and replaced by a copy of yourself at another location would ever be practical or desirable.
hsdrop
I would not mind hearing about some of the things that we have either read or watched in the sci-fi world that could never happen in real life (pet peeves and/or total imposables) just to have a little fun debunking and setting strate some of the thing that we have all seen that other may believe could happen just to give an example superpowerd superheroes like the x-men

Physics news on Phys.org
My pet peeves definitely include spaceships that are described or depicted as if they are moving like an aircraft or a ship. Most sci-fi movies or games that includes spacecraft s usually goes to great lengths to get it all wrong leaving the general public behind with all the wrong idea of how it actually works. There are even space games out there that sports zero physical realism in this regard. I largely blame George Lucas for this sad state of affairs.

Likes hsdrop
nop star trek and other early show like blake's 7 flash gordon were doing the flying in space thing well before star wars and yes i would have to say that is a bad miss leader in all spaceship type shows

"Bring the ship to a complete stop Mr Sulu".
"But captain..."

Likes Noisy Rhysling
"Standard orbit Mr Sulu".
"Captain, if we lose power the ship will spiral into the planet in two hours".

"Captain the ship has lost all power, we only have enough air for 4 hours".
"Oh no, but thank the Lord we still have gravity".

Likes hsdrop
how about laser blasters that show a short beam of light slow enough to see it traveling and able to dodge it lol

Iron Man's suit doesn't have inertia dampeners, yet he doesn't go splat inside of it.
Superman's arms don't have inertia dampeners, yet the people he catches just over the ground don't go splat in them.
Cobra's floating ice fortress sank when broken up.
Star Trek's computer terminals are all made of explodium.

Likes CalcNerd
hsdrop said:
how about laser blasters that show a short beam of light slow enough to see it traveling and able to dodge it lol

Technically, they arent lasers, but some kind of plasma projectile, although i heard there are real lasers called turbo lasers that couldn't be dodged easily.

jackwhirl said:
Iron Man's suit doesn't have inertia dampeners, yet he doesn't go splat inside of it.
They don't come right out and say that his suit is equipped with inertial dampeners, but I always thought it had to have them. Otherwise, as you said, he wouldn't have made it out of the testing phase shown in the first film. He would've been squished meat in a can. That said, even inertial dampeners are pretty far fetched based on what they're expected to do.

Star Trek's transporter system is extremely dubious as it's depicted on the show and movies. I don't see how the agony of being disintegrated at one location and replaced by a copy of yourself at another location would ever be practical or desirable. Maybe with inanimate objects, but not living organisms.

hsdrop said:
Or one that can be stopped in mid-air while simultaneously freezing the person that fired it.

1. Is time travel possible in real life?

Currently, time travel is not possible in the same way that it is portrayed in science fiction. The laws of physics as we understand them do not allow for traveling backwards in time. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible to travel forward in time by manipulating space-time. This is still just a theory and has not been proven.

2. Can humans live on other planets?

While there are ongoing efforts to send humans to other planets, the technology and resources required to create a sustainable human colony on another planet are not yet available. Additionally, the physical and psychological challenges of living on a different planet would make it a difficult feat to achieve. However, with advancements in technology and space exploration, it may be possible in the future.

3. Can we really create artificial intelligence?

Artificial intelligence (AI) is already a reality in many forms, such as virtual assistants and self-driving cars. However, the idea of creating a sentient AI, like in science fiction movies, is still far-fetched. While scientists are constantly working on advancements in AI, it is currently not possible to create a truly self-aware and conscious artificial intelligence.

4. Will we ever have flying cars?

Flying cars may seem like a staple in science fiction, but the reality is that the technology and infrastructure required for widespread use of flying cars are not yet available. It would also present a number of safety and logistical challenges. While there are prototypes and experimental designs for flying cars, it is unlikely that they will become a common mode of transportation in the near future.

5. Are aliens real?

While there is currently no definitive proof of the existence of extraterrestrial life, the vastness of the universe and the increasing number of habitable planets being discovered make it highly likely that there is other intelligent life out there. However, until there is concrete evidence, the existence of aliens remains a topic of speculation and imagination in science fiction.