SDE valuation equation (stochastic calculus)

cppIStough
I read from a text: "suppose a stock with price ##S## and variance ##v## satisfies the SDE $$dS_t = u_tS_tdt+\sqrt{v_t}S_tdZ_1$$$$dv_t = \alpha dt+\eta\beta\sqrt{v_t}dZ_2$$ with $$\langle dZ_1 dZ_2\rangle = \rho dt$$ where ##\mu_t## is the drift of stock price returns, ##\eta## the volatility of volatility and ##\rho## the correlation between random stock price returns and changes in ##v_t##. ##dZ_1,dZ_2## are Weiner processes.

I don't really understand the third equation. Can someone help me make sense? I understand quadratic variation, but I thought ##dZ_1dZ_2 = 0## unless 1=2, which then implies ##dZ_1dZ_2 =dZ_1^2 = dt##; where does the ##\rho## come from, and I also don't understand the angled brackets (no definition from the text, is this supposed to be some inner product?)

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\rho[/itex] is stated to be the correlation between the processes; see e.g. here.

For the meaning of angle brackets, see here.

• Informative
Likes cppIStough, Delta2 and WWGD

What is the SDE valuation equation in stochastic calculus?

The SDE valuation equation is a stochastic differential equation used in finance to model the evolution of asset prices over time. It takes into account both deterministic and random components in the price dynamics.

How is the SDE valuation equation derived?

The SDE valuation equation is derived by applying Ito's lemma to the pricing function of a financial derivative. This allows us to incorporate the randomness in the underlying asset's price movement and calculate the derivative's value at any given time.

What are the key assumptions underlying the SDE valuation equation?

The key assumptions underlying the SDE valuation equation include the efficient market hypothesis, continuous trading, no arbitrage opportunities, and the absence of transaction costs. These assumptions ensure that the model accurately reflects real-world financial markets.

How is the SDE valuation equation used in option pricing?

The SDE valuation equation is used in option pricing by modeling the underlying asset's price dynamics and calculating the option's value at expiration. By solving the SDE, we can determine the fair price of an option and make informed trading decisions.

What are the limitations of the SDE valuation equation?

Some limitations of the SDE valuation equation include the assumption of continuous trading, which may not hold in all markets, and the reliance on historical data for parameter estimation. Additionally, the model may not capture extreme market events or sudden changes in volatility accurately.

Back