Sealing a wiring port to withstand water at 130+ psi?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an ROV thruster that can operate at a depth of 300 feet. The individual is seeking information on an electrical port that can pass through the hull without leaking. A recommended website is provided for potential solutions. The conversation also suggests alternative design ideas, such as having the thruster operate in water while only the magnetic field passes through the hull.
mbewley59
Hey everyone- I'm designing an ROV thruster which, for starters, will operate down to a depth of 300 feet. My problem is that I can't find any information regarding an electrical port which can pass through the hull out into the pressurized atmosphere without leaking. This will be a 12v system pushing about 15 amps for now, and I expect to use 2 or 3 wires.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've got some concepts in my head, but nothing I can verify anywhere. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I don't understand why you are having trouble, just a few seconds on Google brought me to this site which has penetrations for up to 700 bars.

http://www.pavetechnologyco.com

Wow, that was quick! Guess I just didn't search on the right (obvious) terms. I get a little brain-dead sometimes.

Thanks so much, anorlunda!

Where is the power going? Do you really need to run it through the hull? If it's going to a thruster will the thruster also have matching connectors and shaft seals?

Could you not design it so that the thruster rotor actually operates in water and only the magnetic field (eg between stator and rotor) has to pass through the hull? Just a thought.

1. How can I ensure that the wiring port is completely sealed at 130+ psi of water pressure?

To achieve a watertight seal at high pressure, it is important to use a combination of mechanical and chemical sealing methods. This may include using compression fittings, o-rings, and sealants specifically designed for high pressure and water resistance.

2. What is the most effective sealant to use for a wiring port under high water pressure?

The most effective sealant for high pressure and water resistance is silicone-based sealant. It is flexible, durable, and has a high resistance to water and extreme temperatures.

3. How can I test the effectiveness of the seal on a wiring port under high water pressure?

The best way to test the seal on a wiring port is to conduct a pressure test. This involves applying water pressure gradually and monitoring for any leaks or failures in the seal. It is important to use proper safety precautions and equipment when conducting a pressure test.

4. Are there any specific materials or coatings that can withstand 130+ psi of water pressure?

There are several materials and coatings that are specifically designed to withstand high water pressure. These may include stainless steel, rubber, and specialized polymer coatings. It is important to carefully select materials and coatings that are rated for the intended pressure and application.

5. Can I use a regular wiring port for applications with high water pressure?

In most cases, a regular wiring port will not be sufficient for high water pressure applications. It is important to use specially designed high pressure wiring ports that are constructed with materials and sealing methods that can withstand the specified pressure. Using a regular wiring port in high pressure situations can lead to failures and potential safety hazards.