Searching for a Universal Book of Equations

In summary: I would also recommend looking for "Quick Reference Guides" for various engineering disciplines).In summary, a Universal book of equations that may be of practical(or not so practical) purpose does not exist. The concepts that carry meaning in the sciences are equations, not specific examples of more general concepts. There are many books that cover a wide range of topics with explanations, example problems, and equations. They can be expensive, but well worth the $$$.
rasperas
Hello,

Is there a universal book of equation out there? -A book with a wide range of topics, from simple motion to complex electronics, that has equations that may be of practical(or not so practical) purpose. Perhaps this is more of a physics book I am looking for, but I thought the engineers would know first.

Thanks,

-R

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know how such a list of formulas would actually be useful to anyone, so no, I don't think such a book exists.

After all, it's the concepts that carry meaning in the sciences. You can write an infinite number of equations about even a single concept, all slightly different from one another yet all representing the same concept. Equations are nothing more than specific examples of more general concepts.

- Warren

Mark's Handbook of Mechanical Engineering is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Also, if you are looking for just equations written on a piece of paper, you may want to check out the reference guide to the EIT test. I believe I posted a link to it in one of the engineering stickys. I'll have to find the link...

EDIT: http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/

I'd second Mark's; I wasn't even aware of it until Fred posted that link the first time round and it's been rather useful ever since!

I've got a nice book by James Carvill, published by Elsevier; "Mechanical Engineer's Data Handbook" which has all the basics in it (strength of materials, mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids, manufacturing, measurements etc), and then a pocket-sized Engineer's Data Book by Clifford Matthers, published by Professional Engineering. Useful one to have in a top drawer.

The problem with just listing equations is it is difficult to know how they are applied without some context.

I would recommend a reference handbook, such as an "Engineer-in-Training Reference Manual" or the "FE Review Manual" by Lindeburg (published by Professional Publications Inc.). They cover a wide range of topics with explanations, example problems, AND equations. A little expensive, but well worth the $$$. Another excellent book is "Roarke's Formulas for Stress and Strain", mainly for mechanical engineers.

You won't be able to find a book that covers ALL topics, but you might be able to find a few books similar to this for other disciplines (the ones I mentioned are geared toward ME/AE/CE mainly.

Related to Searching for a Universal Book of Equations

1. What is a Universal Book of Equations?

A Universal Book of Equations is a hypothetical book that contains all possible mathematical equations and formulas that could exist. It is often referred to as the "Holy Grail" of mathematics.

2. Why are scientists searching for a Universal Book of Equations?

Scientists are searching for a Universal Book of Equations in order to have a complete understanding of the mathematical laws that govern our universe. It would also greatly simplify the process of discovering new mathematical principles and solving complex problems.

3. Is it possible for a Universal Book of Equations to exist?

It is currently believed that a Universal Book of Equations cannot exist in physical form, as it would require infinite space to contain all possible equations. However, some scientists believe that a digital version may be possible in the future.

4. How would a Universal Book of Equations benefit scientific research?

A Universal Book of Equations would greatly benefit scientific research by providing a comprehensive reference for all mathematical principles. It would also aid in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. What are the challenges in searching for a Universal Book of Equations?

One of the main challenges in searching for a Universal Book of Equations is the sheer number of possible equations that would need to be included. Additionally, the complexity and interconnectivity of mathematical principles make it difficult to create a complete and organized system for all equations.