Second derivative of a curve defined by parametric equations

In summary, the slope of the tangent line for a curve defined by ##x=f(t)## and ##y=g(t)## can be calculated by the formula ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. To find the second derivative, the chain rule is used to get the formula ##\displaystyle \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = \frac{\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. The reasoning behind this is that if ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac
Mr Davis 97
Quick question. I know that if we have a curve defined by ##x=f(t)## and ##y=g(t)##, then the slope of the tangent line is ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. I am trying to find the second derivative, which would be ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. Now, the final correct formula is ##\displaystyle \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = \frac{\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. My question is, why is it valid that ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{dy}{dx}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula can be calculated by the chain rule, treating ##x## as the intermediate function (of ##t##), as:
$$\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=
\left(\frac d{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\frac{dt}{dx}$$
And that is equal to
$$\left(\frac d{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\ /\ \frac{dx}{dt}
$$
which is the same as what you describe as the final correct formula.

How did you get your own formula? It doesn't look correct to me. Doing it your way I get:
\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\ /\ \frac{dx}{dt}\right)
=\left[\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dt}-
\frac{dy}{dt} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}
\right]\ /\ \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2
$$
(using the quotient rule for the second step), which is not like what you wrote.

andrewkirk said:
The formula can be calculated by the chain rule, treating ##x## as the intermediate function (of ##t##), as:
\left(\frac d{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\frac{dt}{dx}$$
And that is equal to
$$\left(\frac d{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\ /\ \frac{dx}{dt}
$$
which is the same as what you describe as the final correct formula.

How did you get your own formula? It doesn't look correct to me. Doing it your way I get:
\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\ /\ \frac{dx}{dt}\right)
=\left[\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dt}-
\frac{dy}{dt} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}
\right]\ /\ \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2
$$
(using the quotient rule for the second step), which is not like what you wrote.
Okay, I see how you do it now, using the chain rule. However, why is it not correct reasoning that if ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##, then ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Okay, I see how you do it now, using the chain rule. However, why is it not correct reasoning that if ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##, then ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##?
It is correct. But what you wrote here is different from what you wrote in the OP. Perhaps your LaTeX got a bit muddled back there?

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the second derivative of a curve defined by parametric equations?

The second derivative of a curve defined by parametric equations is the rate of change of the slope of the curve. It is a measure of how the slope of the curve is changing at a specific point.

2. How is the second derivative calculated for a parametric curve?

The second derivative of a parametric curve is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative with respect to the parameter. This can also be written as the derivative of the slope function with respect to the parameter.

3. What information can be obtained from the second derivative of a parametric curve?

The second derivative of a parametric curve can provide information about the curvature of the curve. A positive second derivative indicates a curve that is concave up, while a negative second derivative indicates a curve that is concave down. The magnitude of the second derivative can also indicate the rate of change of the curvature.

4. How is the second derivative used in curve optimization?

The second derivative is used in curve optimization to determine the maximum and minimum points of a curve. The points where the second derivative is equal to zero or undefined indicate potential maximum or minimum points on the curve. This information can be useful in finding the optimal values for a given parameter.

5. Can the second derivative of a parametric curve have multiple values at a single point?

Yes, the second derivative of a parametric curve can have multiple values at a single point. This can occur when the curve has a point of inflection, where the curvature changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa. In this case, the second derivative is undefined at the point of inflection, but it can have different values on either side of the inflection point.