Second derivatives when pouring juice into a cup

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the volume and height increase of poured juice in a cup. The volume increases at a constant rate, with a derivative of zero, while the height increase is not constant and has a positive first derivative. The professor hints at a negative second derivative of the height increase, which can be found by comparing the derivatives of volume and using the chain rule. The surface area at height h and the sign of derivatives in different parts of the cup are also discussed. The original poster is new to calculus and struggling with the problem.
mindy
Its a question about volume increase (in units cm^3) and height increase (cm) when pouring juice into a cup. Its stated that the volume of the juice in the cup increases at a constant rate, so I know the volume derivatives are zero. But the shape of the cup is inconsistent and there is a lot of variance in it, so the height increase is not constant. I know the first derivative of the height increase is positive... my professor hinted that the second derivative of height increase would be negative... how is that so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivatives of interest are ## \frac{dh}{dt} ## and ## \frac{d^2 h }{dt^2} ##. You are given ## \frac{dV}{dt}=constant ##. Suggestion is to write ## V=V(h) ##, and compare derivatives ## \frac{dV}{dt} ## and ## \frac{d^2 V}{dt^2} ## using the chain rule. Also ## \frac{d^2 V}{dt^2}=0 ##. ## \\ ## Additional hint: What can you say about ## \frac{d^2 V}{dh^2} ## if the volume is written as ## V(h)=\int\limits_{0}^{h} A(h') \, dh' ##, and ## \frac{d A(h)}{dh} >0 ## ?

Last edited:
The first derivative measures the rate of change, so it's not zero for the volume. It's a positive constant. The second derivative of the volume is zero, because it measures the rate to which the rate of change changes. The same is true for the height. As it doesn't change constantly, it's first derivative actually changes with time. And as this change isn't constant, the first derivative of this change isn't zero, which is the second derivative of the height function. Whether this is positive or negative depends on whether the rate of change is sublinear or hyperlinear.

What does the A stand for in your last equation?

mindy said:
The surface area at height ##h##.

mindy said:
I had a slight error. I corrected it. (I originally wrote ## V(h)=A(h) h ##. The correct expression is ## V(h)=\int\limits_{0}^{h} A(h') \, dh' \, ##).

your answers have been helpful
i know that the height increase and volume increase first derivatives are positive. that's helpful
the units of the first volume derivative is cm^3/s (seconds)
second derivative is cm^3/s^2
height first derivative is cm/s
second derivative of height is cm/s^2

not sure why the photo of the problem didn't go through last time. here it is
calculus.jpg

Attachments

• calculus.jpg
    calculus.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 809
  • calculus.jpg
    calculus.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was confused because I thought the derivative of a constant was always zero

The trickiest part of this for someone just learning calculus is applying the chain rule a couple of times. Suggestion: ## dV/dt =(dV/dh)(dh/dt)=constant ##. Finding ## d^2V/dt^2 =0=... ## using the chain rule takes a little more work, but it should give you the result you need. ## \\ ## Additional hint: By the chain rule, ## d^2 V/dt^2=(d(dV/dh)/dt)(dh/dt)+(dV/dh)(d^2 h/dt^2)=0 ##. The first term there needs to be evaluated with the chain rule one more time..

Last edited:
You will get answers that are more specific to your questions if you show us the Figure 7 of the cup and the rest of the problem statement.

thanks everyone
thanks charles =)

Likes Charles Link
mindy said:
thanks everyone
thanks charles =)
See my edited post of post 10. That is very close to the result you need.

here it is, for those curious

Attachments

• Inkedcalc2_LI.jpg
    Inkedcalc2_LI.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 385
nevermind. my phones too blurry. i give up

mindy said:
nevermind. my phones too blurry. i give up
I was able to read it. They want to know the sign of the terms ## (dh/dt) ## and ## (d^2 h/dt^2) ##, etc. If you look at my hint in post 10, you need to compute ## \frac{d (\frac{dV}{dh})}{dt } ## using the chain rule. Once you have that, it will allow you to compare ## d^2 h/dt^2 ## with ## d^2 V/dh^2 ##. (See also my hint for ## d^2V/dh^2 ## in the last part of post 2).

Last edited:
First you should consider how the shape of the cup effects the rate of height increase and the derivative of that. I think that your statement in the original post about the first derivative of height increase being positive is not always true as the cup fills up. [CORRECTION: Of course it is always positive. The second dirivative is not always positive.]
Consider the derivatives where the cup diameter is expanding, where it is contracting, the sudden change in the middle, and the constant curvature of the top and bottom halves.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
First you should consider how the shape of the cup effects the rate of height increase and the derivative of that. I think that your statement in the original post about the first derivative of height increase being positive is not always true as the cup fills up.
Consider the derivatives where the cup diameter is expanding, where it is contracting, the sudden change in the middle, and the constant curvature of the top and bottom halves.
@FactChecker input can be quantified by computing ## d^2 V/dh^2 =dA(h)/dh ## as my hint in the last part of post 2 is suggesting. Using that, along with the equation in post 10, and the problem is really very straightforward.

Charles Link said:
@FactChecker input can be quantified by computing ## d^2 V/dh^2 =dA(h)/dh ## as my hint in the last part of post 2 is suggesting. Using that, along with the equation in post 10, and the problem is really very straightforward.
Yes, I know. I can do it easily. But I think that the original poster is less familiar with the application and meaning of derivatives in real problems and I'm not sure that the problem was asking for actual formulas as opposed to a more qualitative characterization.

Likes Charles Link
you're right factchecker, I am new to all this. I took a 6 year break from pre calc to this class (calc 1) and prior to that, it'd been like 6 years since I took algebra or trig. so I am very behind. I own calculus for dummies, and a complete idiots guide to calculus, and I watch a lot of kahn academy and youtube videos. but i am struggling and am very behind academically

Likes FactChecker
"Today at 10:46 AM#17
FactChecker
500115.jpg
3,085 / 887
Science Advisor
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades
First you should consider how the shape of the cup effects the rate of height increase and the derivative of that. I think that your statement in the original post about the first derivative of height increase being positive is not always true as the cup fills up.
Consider the derivatives where the cup diameter is expanding, where it is contracting, the sudden change in the middle, and the constant curvature of the top and bottom halves."hey factchecker. even if the height derivative fluctuates at the shape of the glass (I know itll slow down drastically at the wide parts, and increase in height quicker at skinnier parts of the cup) wouldn't it still be a positive derivative? i guess I'm trying to imagine this on a graph. I've attached the graph. let's say that at the skinny parts of the cup, it increase 10cm/s. and then at the widest parts of the cup, it decreases to an increase of 4cm/s. isn't it still positive because it's still an increase? or am i just not understanding

thankyou in advance for all your help =)

Attachments

• calc3.jpg
    calc3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 360
  • calc4.jpg
    calc4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 500115.jpg
    500115.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 335
i forgot to include my other increases. I'm not sure if my image came up clearly. so if its 10cm/s at the skinniest part, and decreases down to 4cm/s at the widest part... the first second would be 10cm increase, the second second would be 8cm increase, the third second would be 6 cm increase, the fourth second 4cm increase, and then progressively back up to 10cm increase (I'm just using these numbers as an example based loosely upon the shape)... isn't it all still increases? even if the increases fluctuate? or would the derivative not be a positive nor a negative nor a zero, would it be a fluctuating derivative (if that makes sense?) would it bounce between being a positive and a negative?

In this complicated orange juice cup, if you worked with the formulas that you can derive from calculus, you could treat every different part of the cup very quickly. Otherwise, it is tricky trying to do a qualitative explanation for the different parts of the cup. ## \\ ## The formulas will tell you that if ## dA/dh >0## , that ## d^2 h/dt^2 <0 ##, once you compute the various derivatives, (from the chain rule), and equate them to each other. Alternatively, you have parts of the cup that have ## dA/dh<0 ##, and for those parts, ## d^2 h/dt^2>0 ##.And if the cup has a part that is like a cylinder, then ## dA/dh=0 ##, so that ## d^2 h/dt^2=0 ##.

Last edited:
mindy said:
you're right factchecker, I am new to all this. I took a 6 year break from pre calc to this class (calc 1) and prior to that, it'd been like 6 years since I took algebra or trig. so I am very behind. I own calculus for dummies, and a complete idiots guide to calculus, and I watch a lot of kahn academy and youtube videos. but i am struggling and am very behind academically
Note: I corrected my earlier post. The rate of increase (first derivative) is always positive as you originally stated. The second derivative is not always positive.

thankyou guys. handing this in today =)

mindy said:
not sure why the photo of the problem didn't go through last time. here it is
View attachment 214105
You didn't provide the most important thing, i.e., Fig. 7!

Related to Second derivatives when pouring juice into a cup

1. What is a second derivative in the context of pouring juice into a cup?

A second derivative in this context refers to the rate of change of the rate of change of the amount of juice in the cup. It measures how quickly the amount of juice in the cup is changing as the juice is being poured.

2. Why is the second derivative important when pouring juice into a cup?

The second derivative is important because it helps us understand the shape of the curve representing the amount of juice in the cup over time. It can tell us if the amount of juice is increasing or decreasing at a faster or slower rate, and if there are any points of inflection where the rate of change switches from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

3. How do you calculate the second derivative when pouring juice into a cup?

The second derivative can be calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative. In the context of pouring juice into a cup, this would involve finding the rate at which the amount of juice is changing as it is being poured, and then finding the rate at which that rate is changing.

4. What factors can affect the second derivative when pouring juice into a cup?

The second derivative can be affected by various factors such as the rate at which the juice is being poured, the shape and size of the cup, the density and viscosity of the juice, and any obstructions or obstacles in the pouring process. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and air pressure.

5. How can the second derivative be used in practical applications when pouring juice into a cup?

The second derivative can be used to optimize the pouring process by determining the ideal pouring rate and angle to minimize spills and waste. It can also be used to troubleshoot any issues with the pouring process, such as identifying the cause of spills or predicting the amount of juice that will be in the cup at a certain time. Additionally, the second derivative can be used in industries that involve fluid dynamics, such as food and beverage production, to improve efficiency and quality control.